Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Welding rig trucks

273K views 146 replies 64 participants last post by  vinnyD94 
#1 ·
I just wonder how many people use their trucks for welding rig trucks. Pipeline or maintnance.

See less See more
#29 ·
ive worked on both miller and lincoln most of the pipe liners that come through have the sa 200 strapped behind them there really good machines that can be tuned in right where those guys like um also last along time and can be easily overhauled

#32 ·
im hopin to make one soon.....

#34 ·
Got a photobucket account? If so, copy the image location(URL) and paste it into the little box that pops up when you click on the button here that looks like a sun above two mountains in a yellow background (when you're posting).

#35 ·
its the truck in my avatar thingy 92 dodge with 350hp822tq and 3rd rearend weighin at 13k with a 61 pipeliner and i just cant get rid of it its priceless when you pass your new yard boss on the highway smokin and flyin by:)

#39 ·
Here's mine. :D

Yeah I know what you might be saying. But I've got a mobipower setup on it. I can weld, make 110VDC (to run grinders and such). I've got about 50ft of leads for it too. Next mod will be a air compressor and tank. I might even try to get one of those small portable cutting torch setup.

#40 ·
That Zuki is badarse. So is the welder similar to just having another alternator. The reason I ask is my father in law has an old portable welder that uses a ford alternator and a little gas engine to turn it. It welds decent, plenty good enough for trail fixes. I have been kicking aroung mounting another alternator on my jeep to use as a welder, since the alternator right now is the only accessory on the engine. I guess I would just need some type of regulator for it.

#41 ·
It's actually an all in one deal. It's a single alternator with a control box to run it. The only downfall is it can only do one thing at a time. So it can only work as an alternator, or as a welder, or as a DC gen. When welding or generating power the battery isn't being charged. It's actually being drained for a reference voltage.

If you're going to do a alterwelder, get a externally regulated ford alternator. The higher the amperage rating the better. Then run the output terminal to the welder stinger. The voltage is a DC weld, but it's at a high frequency. It actually vibrates the molten weld puddle. You can hear a high pitched whine while welding from it. It penetrates awesome. For giggles I used a 1/8" 6011 rod and burned holes through some 1/4" plate.

You do have to wind the engine up to get the amperage up though. I pull the little 1.6 VW diesel up to about 3K and it'll burn rods great. I need to build a hand throttle control though so I can "fine tune" my welding with it.

#43 ·
thats pretty neat, I think I am going to do that. I will just mount the Ford alternator on the other side of the motor and leave the regular alternator to just run the engine and the regular battery. That way the Ford alternator can be used to charge another battery and run all the lights on a completely seperate system from the engine electrical system.

#112 ·
#46 ·
Hate to say it, but yes it is. At least its Cummins powered.

#49 ·
Hell yeah, some of those trucks are awesome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.