Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Alternator rebuild shop in Salem area?

1K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  FIRSTDIESELEVER 
#1 ·
I'm looking to have my alternator rebuilt. Anyone know of a shop that does it in the Salem area?

#4 ·
I talked to the guy behind the counter about my alternator. I told him I wanted it tested for AC noise and I got that look(lobster on my head). I explained about the surging issue and how too much AC noise could be the cause. He tested it for me and came up with a .01 Vac. So it passed, but I'm going to pull it and inspect the brushes. Worst comes to worse I will bring it back and have them rebuild it. Bosch makes the best alt. for these 2nd gens. I'm not letting it go for some NAPA luck of the draw alternator.

#8 ·
It will surge about 200 RPMs while accelerating up a hill. It happened yesterday for the first time in a long time while heading to the coast. There were several long hills where the surging would occur. Also would do it while going down a long hill with very light throttle. I would think if the brushes were bad it would be more consistent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.