Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Fred Meyer fuel

11K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  bfs673 
#1 ·
I always hear people say they would never put diesel from Freddy's in their pickups. I've been using it for years in both my trucks and never had any issues. I have a 2 micron filter and add fuel treatment so I don't see the big deal. Anyone have any insight on this other than just "it's junk fuel?"

Thanks.

#2 ·
How do these ridiculous stories continue to propagate?!?! The vast majority of fuel that is used THROUGHOUT the state of Oregon originates in Portland where it is loaded on trucks, that belong to only a few companies, and they supply Jacksons, Chevron, Shell, Fred Meyer, Safeway, etc.

Any fuel station that is busy is a good sign their fuel is fine...........more going out means more going in which means fresher!

If there are different refineries close by then the argument can be made that fuel is different, but around here, where almost all the fuel comes from the same place, in the same trucks, just sold under different names for different prices? Not so much!

Reactions: Russ Roth
#3 ·
I've been running Fred Meyer fuel for years, never had any issues. In fact the one and only time I've gotten bad fuel was at Safeway in Junction City years ago and trust me, it was bad. Prior to that I was running Safeway fuel for years without any issues. My guess is that it had a bunch of emulsified water in it. Truck had low power, low boost, tons of black smoke when pushing hard on the gas pedal just to make it accelerate since it was running very sluggish, thought I cracked my intercooler or something was wrong with the turbo it was that bad, next tank the truck was back to normal. Heard that was somewhat common with Safeway diesel. Perhaps it can potentially happen anywhere, I don't know.

#4 ·
Safeway does sell B20 at most of their locations so you do have to be careful with that, especially when they are in a place like Junction City that may not move a lot of fuel. Bad fuel can indeed happen anywhere but spare filters are carried for a reason! :rof

#7 ·
I only use Fred Meyer or Safeway fuel. Because thats where the discounts are. never had a fuel issue.

Reactions: Ducks300
#12 ·
B20 in Cornelius is $1.89...........I probably should have bought some when I drove by today but oh well.........there is always next time I choose to drive the old sudsmobile!

#14 ·
Hey Ducks, I'm in Forest Grove.

FM Fuel is pretty much the only thing I use because of the fuel points... I get roughly $0.70 to $1.00 off per gallon at each fuel-up. (I spend WAY too much money at Fredy's apparently).

FM fuel has been just fine. Wife uses Chevron for our Audi Q7 though.

#13 ·
I get fuel at Time on lancaster with zero problems, and the company I work for we fuel our trucks up there if we're able to and never have ran a issuse with the fuel, and the engines are a dirty, cummins, and a MAxxforce.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.