Nevada laws? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > Community Hall > Chapter Forums > Nevada
CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Nevada laws?

I got pulled over today cuz of my stack. the officer said that they are illegal?
and also asked me if i had a muffler (which i do). but i thought that stacks were legal in NV? and that i didnt have to have a cat. i wasnt sure about if we had to have a muffler on an '01
Demon Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 12:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Did he give you a ticket for anything?
Stacks being illegal is news to me and if your truck didn't come with a cat it's not required to have one as far as I know. Your truck passes smog without it right? As far as the muffler thing goes I would think as long as it doesn't exceed the allowable db rating that shouldn't be an issue either
Old 10-19-2012, 12:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

no i didnt get a ticket. he "let me off with a warning." and said i better change my exhaust before another officer sees me. now im scared to go straight pipe. i dont need a ticket! mine didnt come with a cat. so im not worried about that, but i just bought a muffler delete and was going to put it in this weekend
Demon Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I have never heard of stacks being illegal. As for a cat, our trucks didn't come with one so its not illegal. You live in Reno, you don't even have to smog your truck do you? I don't think that cop knows what he was talking about.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

These are the only Nevada Laws that I could find regarding exhaust/emissions/mufflers. There could be federal laws (Commercial Vehicle) that may apply, some of our trucks might fall under commercial vehicle laws. I'm not an expert with those, sorry. Here's a link to the Nevada Law Library index....

NRS: Titles and Chapters

Good Luck
Mike

NRS 484D.415 Mufflers: Prevention of emissions.
1. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent emissions greater than those allowed by rules and regulations established by the Department. No person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway.
2. The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.
(Added to NRS by 1969, 1208; A 1971, 921)—(Substituted in revision for NRS 484.611)

NRS 484D.535 Device for control of pollution: Use required; disconnection or alteration prohibited; exceptions.
1. Except as provided in subsection 2, a person shall not operate or leave standing on any highway any motor vehicle which is required by state or federal law to be equipped with a device for the control of pollution from motor vehicles unless the device is correctly installed and in operating condition. A person shall not disconnect, alter or modify any such required device.
2. The provisions of this section do not apply to:
(a) An alteration or modification found by the State Environmental Commission not to reduce the effectiveness of the required device.
(b) Motor vehicles which have been licensed by the Department as experimental vehicles.
(c) Any vehicle which has been granted a waiver or exemption from the regulations for the control of emissions from motor vehicles.
(Added to NRS by 1971, 1203; A 1973, 5, 1705; 1979, 568, 1034; 1985, 340, 1954)—(Substituted in revision for NRS 484.644)

NRS 484D.540 Device for control of pollution: Penalty; proof of conformity may be required. Violation of the provisions of NRS 484D.535 is a misdemeanor. Whenever any motor vehicle is found by any peace officer to be in violation of the provisions of NRS 484D.535, and a notice to appear or citation is issued, it may require that the person named therein shall produce in court proof that such vehicle or its equipment has been made to conform to the provisions of NRS 484D.535.
(Added to NRS by 1971, 1203)—(Substituted in revision for NRS 484.6441)
85 D-350 Crew Cab oil burner: 92 I/C 12v, 46RH, 3:55 Trac-Loc, DFI 5x12, Denny T Stage 1, 1/8" Timing Bump, 366 spring, 60mm Compressor/16cm Exhaust housing, Pumped tuned just right, Low Pressure Piston Lift Pump, 4" Turbo Back with muffler, Goerend TC

Last edited by moparmike23; 10-28-2012 at 12:56 PM.
moparmike23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

2. The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.

This may be the reason for the stop and now since you have stacks, the smoke from the exhaust is now more visible. Before you go and get excited about all our diesels smoke, the law is the law and the stop probably was justified.

He might have just wanted to check out your truck, can you blame him?

Under Nevada Law, I really don't think the stacks themselves are illegal.

Mike
85 D-350 Crew Cab oil burner: 92 I/C 12v, 46RH, 3:55 Trac-Loc, DFI 5x12, Denny T Stage 1, 1/8" Timing Bump, 366 spring, 60mm Compressor/16cm Exhaust housing, Pumped tuned just right, Low Pressure Piston Lift Pump, 4" Turbo Back with muffler, Goerend TC
moparmike23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

The stacks don't allow any more smoke to escape than a rear exit exhaust, so no laws broken there
Old 10-29-2012, 12:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Some states also have laws against altering the exhaust from a factory standard in any way...
Old 10-29-2012, 12:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I received a letter from the DMV stating that someone witnessed my truck smoking excessively. Which is BS cause I dont hot rod around town but when I accelerate it does smoke but not like a black out!
2005 dodge cummins 4.5 inch fabtech lift 35 Hankook Dynapro Muds, Home Depot CAI (thanks to AH64ID), SMARTY PoD , banks high ram air intake manifold 4 inch exhaust with a missing muffler and silencer ring: ISSPRO gauges,Frantz oil bypass kitDTT transmission
ADawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Don't know the law's in Nevada but in California its where the exhaust exit the vehicle. If you have stacks like a big rig it needs to exit 12 feet high from the ground. Any exhaust exiting the vehicle out of the side or back of the vehicle, anything over 2 feet high needs to be pointing down towards the ground.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADawg View Post
I received a letter from the DMV stating that someone witnessed my truck smoking excessively. Which is BS cause I dont hot rod around town but when I accelerate it does smoke but not like a black out!
I witnessed your truck smoking excessively on Lake Mead the other day haha
Old 10-30-2012, 12:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

It was not me I swear!! I plead the 5th!
2005 dodge cummins 4.5 inch fabtech lift 35 Hankook Dynapro Muds, Home Depot CAI (thanks to AH64ID), SMARTY PoD , banks high ram air intake manifold 4 inch exhaust with a missing muffler and silencer ring: ISSPRO gauges,Frantz oil bypass kitDTT transmission
ADawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.