Cummins Diesel Forum banner

'16 Ram MPG Concern

733 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  ChrisJ208 
#1 ·
All,

Glad to be part of the Cummins forum. I am new to the 6.7 and had a few questions. I just picked up my new 2016 2500 Crew Cab a few weeks ago and drove from Atlanta to Chicago soon after. I picked up a bumper tow travel trailer and began a drive to Kansas City where the truck currently is.

Without a trailer the truck was getting 18.5MPG; not as good as I thought but not terrible either. After picking up the trailer (truck had 800 miles on it at that time) the MPG was really bad, around 7-9MPG instantaneous. The roads were flat and clear with a moderate quartering headwind. I was taking it easy towing, going around 60-65 MPH.

The truck also seemed to be burning through DEF quickly, certainly while towing but also while not. This is my first Cummins; I also own an '01 7.3L Pstroke so a lot of the emission controls etc. are foreign to me. I called a local dealer and asked them if this was normal and they told me it wasn't uncommon while towing to see that bad of MPG with that new of a truck. 8MPG average just seemed a little too poor IMHO. Any advice/insight would be great, thanks.

#2 ·
It will get better but you have to remember it is a 6.7 and it does drink under a load. Def usage does increase as well towing. I have a 14 with 11k and recently picked up a 10k lb boat, 700 mile round trip. On the way down empty I actually saw 22mpg (summer fuel) loaded on the way home 11mpg. Also remember you don't get as much mileage out of winter fuel.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum!

#6 ·
Your mileage isn't bad, to give you an idea of my truck (a 2500 with auto trans) pulling a 8-9k double decker car hauler from NC to Ny my mpg was 8-9. A 14k fifth wheel camper from Wilson NC to GA was about the same mileage. These trips were between September and November of last year.

Unloaded from NY to NC my mileage was about 21mpg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.