Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum (http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/general-diesel-discussion/)
-   -   Can you use diesel in a kerosene heater? (http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/general-diesel-discussion/817562-can-you-use-diesel-kerosene-heater.html)

crf450ish 12-09-2013 06:53 AM

Can you use diesel in a kerosene heater?

Got a kerosene heater in the garage that I use both for myself and to keep the dog warm at night. Getting sick of paying $40 for 5 gallons of kerosene. Is it safe to run diesel in it? Or will it smoke like crazy? Looking for feedback from folk who've tried/done it before. Thx

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

macko300exc 12-09-2013 07:09 AM

Yes you can and I do. My new one from Mr heater which is a 125,000 BTU is rated for kerosene, diesel, jet a, and heating oil.

Biggest thing i would is make sure the line from the injector to the tank is OK for DIESEL. If your not sure you can buy the line needed for a few bucks

durawhat? 12-09-2013 08:18 AM

Op are you talking about a heater with a wick? Because macko is talking about a forced air type heater. On a heater with a wick I still can't answer your question, I just wanted to mention that I think you guys are talking about different heaters.

bimmerboy86 12-09-2013 11:47 AM

i have a torpedo heater that i run diesel in. dont recall it smoking. gets so hot in there i crack the door anyways haha.

crf450ish 12-09-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durawhat? (Post 8772018)
Op are you talking about a heater with a wick? Because macko is talking about a forced air type heater. On a heater with a wick I still can't answer your question, I just wanted to mention that I think you guys are talking about different heaters.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DuraHeat-...2304/100045793
Yes one like this

CRASH9116 12-09-2013 07:48 PM

There will be smoke upon each ignition and a few minutes after but other than that it will burn fine and in my opinion it doesnt leave the notorious kerosene after burn smell. We used to burn JP8 in them when we went to the field here on Ft. Hood.

crf450ish 12-09-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRASH9116 (Post 8786322)
There will be smoke upon each ignition and a few minutes after but other than that it will burn fine and in my opinion it doesnt leave the notorious kerosene after burn smell. We used to burn JP8 in them when we went to the field here on Ft. Hood.

JP8 is a kerosene based fuel. Nice

husky9 12-09-2013 10:39 PM

Maybe I'm not understanding this but, the last time I remember being around a heater running diesel instead of kerosene I slowly developed a cough until I was coughing so bad I was nearly vomiting. I asked the owner of the garage we were in what he had in the heater and he said diesel and not kerosene which is what I have always assumed was what caused this....:confused013:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

AFRenoughsaid 12-09-2013 10:49 PM

We run off-road fuel in ours and never had any problems.

crf450ish 12-10-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husky9 (Post 8792362)
Maybe I'm not understanding this but, the last time I remember being around a heater running diesel instead of kerosene I slowly developed a cough until I was coughing so bad I was nearly vomiting. I asked the owner of the garage we were in what he had in the heater and he said diesel and not kerosene which is what I have always assumed was what caused this....:confused013:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

No dude I'm not dumb. I have a suction vent on the ceiling of my garage to suck out the CO2 & CO created from a combustion heater

98-24vcummins 12-10-2013 08:48 AM

We ran diesel in all the torpedo heaters we had in my old shop. Never had a problem. Does the exact same thing.