6.7 Help with cheap upgrades for MPG increase - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > General Forums > General Diesel Discussion
General Diesel Discussion Discuss General Topics related to the Cummins , Dodge Rams , Other Diesels Ect....NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008, 08:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
6.7 Help with cheap upgrades for MPG increase

Fist I want to say great forum, I have lurked on here reading post after post on all kinds of stuff that it makes my head spin trying to figure out what would work best on my truck for my situation.. Wealth of information and I thank everyone for sharing...

I have a 2008 2500 with the 6.7 and I would like to try to improve on the MPG a little bit more. After reading several posts and researching it seems to be the best solution is to get a chip, intake and possibly exhaust and hope for about 3mpg increase... I dont' want to spend big $$ (less than $1K) as then it kind of defeats the purpose of trying to save $$ in the long run with MPG increase... I really do not want to mess with the blue tech stuff as I think it's a good thing for pollution and all..

Can some of you with 6.7's give me your setup and what increase you got out of it? I'm leaning toward superchips or hypertech as it's economical compared to edge juice and just not sure on intake yet or if it's even worth it to mess with exhaust... I searched around and found hit and miss topics on this but i couldn't find a single discussion on "cheap" upgrades to help with MPG increases.. Performance just being a Plus out of it.. Any advice others have would be appreciated. Thanks!!
gkelso is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2008, 09:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkelso View Post
Fist I want to say great forum, I have lurked on here reading post after post on all kinds of stuff that it makes my head spin trying to figure out what would work best on my truck for my situation.. Wealth of information and I thank everyone for sharing...

I have a 2008 2500 with the 6.7 and I would like to try to improve on the MPG a little bit more. After reading several posts and researching it seems to be the best solution is to get a chip, intake and possibly exhaust and hope for about 3mpg increase... I dont' want to spend big $$ (less than $1K) as then it kind of defeats the purpose of trying to save $$ in the long run with MPG increase... I really do not want to mess with the blue tech stuff as I think it's a good thing for pollution and all..

Can some of you with 6.7's give me your setup and what increase you got out of it? I'm leaning toward superchips or hypertech as it's economical compared to edge juice and just not sure on intake yet or if it's even worth it to mess with exhaust... I searched around and found hit and miss topics on this but i couldn't find a single discussion on "cheap" upgrades to help with MPG increases.. Performance just being a Plus out of it.. Any advice others have would be appreciated. Thanks!!
If you don't get rid of Blue Tec.

You will spend most of your time at the dealer and your truck will suffer with you.

You won't see any mileage if you keep Egr and Exhaust, it will go down the exhaust in the form of raw diesel called regen.
2007 6.7L Cummins, 4x4, 2500, 6sp manual, std cab, 8ft bed, SBC clutch OFE, Air Dog, Fluiddamper, Wild Card Customs intake, Smarty ME, 5" TBE, Banks intake w/ SS, Banks Intercooler, BD Steering box brace, Custom gauge Cluster by CW6.7, Isspro Performax gauges
Dynoed @425hp and 1182ft/lbs tq
Cummins 67 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2008, 10:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

chip helped a little but not really enought to notice, intake same thing but turbo spools faster, sounds good, hard to get milage gains unless u lose the dpf and egr, dpf being the big one, egr dont really pick up mileage but its good to get it off engine, causes more problems than its worth, hashing out if fuel mileage or warranty is more important, as for emissions it may not smoke but it burns more fuel not sure how that makes much sense, the ash that the dpf produces is still polution just cant see it as well

Last edited by tinkering247; 08-01-2008 at 10:32 PM.
tinkering247 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2008, 02:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ok, So if I get rid of the dpf? Is that the filter and egr, not sure what that is.. Does that void the warranty? You guys actually get rid of that and still have the dealer fix your truck if something goes wrong? That would be my biggest concern...

How do I get rid of those?
Old 08-02-2008, 03:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

it voids the waranty if ya take off the emissions stuff
Old 08-02-2008, 04:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

if you dont want to mess with emissions and warrenty and want ok milage....leave it stock is your best bet, i dont think a tuner would help, i tried a superchips flashpaq and didnt notice anything... your best bet is to take all your emissions off
www.myspace.com/powderrun
0cummins8 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2008, 08:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

the diesel particulate filter (dpf) on your exhaust is basicly a soot trap which causes a major restriction on the way your truck breaths. The engine gas recirculation (egr) returns hot dirty air back into your engine and unfortunately helps to heat your cooling water in the process. the less air restriction you have and the cooler air your engine has to breath the better. purchasing a dpf and egr delete kit will be an investment that will not only gain you more mpg, your engine will run better, last longer without dirty air poluting your engine (egr) and run more efficiently. i wouldnt spend money on a chip without first doing the supportive mods mentioned above. investing 1k will gain you much more than just mpg gains
Old 08-02-2008, 11:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

Sounds like emissions stuff hits a nerve with a lot of people.. I didn't realize they were giving people so many problems..

How much are these DPF and EGR delete kits and how easy are they to install? What parts are in them?

I am no master mechanic or anything.. I can do basic stuff as long as there is good directions on how to do it.. I don't want to get in over my head on something mechanical and mess something up if I decide to go this route.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

So is anybody getting any increases without doing the DPF delete thing??

Can someone tell me where all the DPF delete information is.. I'm just not sure about going that route.. I will if it's unanimous that's the way to go and it's not too expensive or too hard to install.. I just really was looking for something more simple like a tuner chip and air intake..
Old 08-09-2008, 12:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

I am a noobie on the forum, but from what I have read about all the blue tec stuff is that it def hinders the mpg a lot. I have a friend that has a 07.5 and did the dpf delete and said he got 2-3 mpg better. I think if you do that and a exhaust you may get a little more. They are very easy to do, a direct bolt in I believe, and on every forum I read is a necessity to do. I will do it, but after the warranty is out. I a just a little scared, because I am a little hard on my vehicles, that I need the warranty to back me up. I may do the dpf delete and keep my filter in the toolbox in case I need to reinstall to take to the dealer for service. The EGR is a little more involved I believe. I also plan on getting a no code dpf delete or a Edge Juice to clear the code on startup.
Lilboy1023 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2008, 05:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

Built your own COLD air intake $50 bucks. 1 hours time

Hey!
Just bought a 2007 6.7 6000km put on it by me. I have looked at all these cold air systems. Cost to much for what you get. I'm just a guy that thinks out of the box. Here is what I did and it took 2l of my 100km I'm getting 15.4l to a 100k or 15mpg in my 4x4 1ton flat bed. I was getting around 14. My truck didn't come with fog lights but it did come with some cool looking vents. =o} So what I did
was I took pipe about 4''d and cut 2 inch chunks glued it to these vents. Than I took 2 90 degree elbows from 4 inch big o pipe mounted it to each. Than I cut a 4 inch hole in the bottom of the air box. Took a big o connector to big o connector cut it in half than I screwed it in place. Than I pushed up a 4'' piece of big o to connect to the air box mounted a tee to the other end. Must use a tee that goes inside the big o not over. And than the 90 on one side connects right to the tee. The I ran 4'' big 0 behind the bumper to the tee that I mounted another 90 to just to make it low profile so you could not see it. Hooked it all up and tried it. Doing 70mph I got 15mpg on a 350mile trip. This didn't cost me over $50 bucks and it took me about a hour to hook up. You can't see it. It works good and it saves. When you spend lot's it takes more to see a return this way you get that return fast. Oh I'll have something soon for all you people on this DPF. I'm not paying $500 or a $1000 for some pipe with two fitting welded to it and some caps tricking the computer to stay at like 1.4 volts. I plan on taking this system apart in a week or so when i have time and see what I can do.
You have a mind. Try things. You don't need a piece of paper to try things. Look how far this guys have gotten us. 2007 and we are still getting bad milage. Tells you something.

Jason
gaiafuel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaiafuel View Post
Hey!
Just bought a 2007 6.7 6000km put on it by me. I have looked at all these cold air systems. Cost to much for what you get. I'm just a guy that thinks out of the box. Here is what I did and it took 2l of my 100km I'm getting 15.4l to a 100k or 15mpg in my 4x4 1ton flat bed. I was getting around 14. My truck didn't come with fog lights but it did come with some cool looking vents. =o} So what I did
was I took pipe about 4''d and cut 2 inch chunks glued it to these vents. Than I took 2 90 degree elbows from 4 inch big o pipe mounted it to each. Than I cut a 4 inch hole in the bottom of the air box. Took a big o connector to big o connector cut it in half than I screwed it in place. Than I pushed up a 4'' piece of big o to connect to the air box mounted a tee to the other end. Must use a tee that goes inside the big o not over. And than the 90 on one side connects right to the tee. The I ran 4'' big 0 behind the bumper to the tee that I mounted another 90 to just to make it low profile so you could not see it. Hooked it all up and tried it. Doing 70mph I got 15mpg on a 350mile trip. This didn't cost me over $50 bucks and it took me about a hour to hook up. You can't see it. It works good and it saves. When you spend lot's it takes more to see a return this way you get that return fast. Oh I'll have something soon for all you people on this DPF. I'm not paying $500 or a $1000 for some pipe with two fitting welded to it and some caps tricking the computer to stay at like 1.4 volts. I plan on taking this system apart in a week or so when i have time and see what I can do.
You have a mind. Try things. You don't need a piece of paper to try things. Look how far this guys have gotten us. 2007 and we are still getting bad milage. Tells you something.

Jason
How about some pics on that intake setup? And is that 15mpg hand calculated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.