Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Transmission question

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  slateHD 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 dodge ram 2500 CTD. I have some things done to it already which you can see all the stuff i have done in my sig. I was wanting to add a smarty and an airdog lift pump to the truck as well. I want to be able to run both programmers turned all the way up and not have to worry about my tranny letting go on me. I am trying to figure out what type of upgrades i can do to keep the tranny together with running both boxes up on the truck or if i will have to go with a whole new tranny? Also what price range are we looking at to get the transmission to hold that type of power. I want to try to do this the least expensive way if that is at all possible :lol3: Any advice or information (like websites or any other info that will help) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for any info.

#3 ·
you don't think that i could just upgrade the stock tranny enough to be able to hold the amount of power that it would put out running those two programmers turned up together?

#4 ·
the stock tranny is a good tranny if you replace the flex plate and tc. there is something else im forgetting too

#7 ·
anybody else got some more advice or what's the best way to make a tranny hold up to that much power?

G
#8 ·
Well, without trying to sound like a jackhole, don't be cheap.

Research the options you have with the trans companies, and pick the one that best suits you. Don't look at it from a cost standpoint alone. If you spend $2500 twice, thats more than the $4000 trans that doesn't break, which you'll buy AFTER spending $5000.

#9 ·
Did my tranny, is good for 1000 horse...kept the stock case but all internal except for the overdrive is done. cost me 8000...well worth it i cant kill it. i wouldnt cheap out on tranny parts, when they go it will cost more to fix in the long run..

#10 ·
If/when you stack the juice and the smarty don't run the timing on the smarty since they both do timing and too much timing will hurt your headgasket. Transmission is not something you want to go cheap on. I am sure any of the vendors on this site would love to help you out. TC, VB and an input shaft will be very safe up to and around 1000rwft-lbs. Just food for thought, a smarty with a pressure box or a juice with a pressure box make great stacks.

#11 ·
i was $2k in mine installed, no shafts. with both set on kill you will get hot very fast! i can hit #1500 deg. just in hot mode alone, and have it set to defuel at #1400. turbo upgrade and head studs are in order. like rufushusky said no timing, i beleive it's even #'s, and don't go cheap on the tranny. mine will not hold that kind of power (stacking & turbo). i'm waiting to save about 4g's to make it stronger (goerend:thumbsup). please correct any wrong info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.