Cummins Diesel Forum banner

basic upgrade path?

2K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  terminaltsi 
#1 ·
so i've been looking around and can't find a list of basic upgrades for a 12v engine. other car forums on i'm, usually have a sticky for the different variations, with a list of the first dozen or so basic mods to get improved performance.
is there such a list around here that i just can't find?

thanks.

#2 ·
hmm...you know I don't think we have one...

I will keep an eye on this thread and see how info could and most likely turn it into a sticky

My list:
1. Gauges, pyro and boost at leas
2. Intake
3. Exhaust
4. Fuel plate
5. injectors
6. wastegate
7. O-ring and studs
8. Lift pump
9. Tranny mods.
9a if auto at least a TC and VB, input shaft a good idea
9b. if manual a good clutch and hydraulics
10. Turbo

I am not a dirty dozen driver so my list may not be the best...but hey it i something...

#4 ·
There are two build variations; you can do modifications in order of the power they give you, or you can do modifications in order of the power they can support.

In order of most power:
Fuel (injectors, pump tweaks)
Air (turbocharger)
Transmission ($$$)
Fuel flow (aftermarket lift pump system)
Air flow (fuel filter, manifold, porting)
Gauges

In order to have the most sustainability, do the exact same list, but in reverse.

#5 ·
ok good info guys. in my cars, i prefer to start with everything just to keep the engine safe, and then go from there, so the list starting with monitoring equipment first makes more sense to me.
so it seems to basically follow the standard turbo car path, with opening up the airflow first, and then fuel.

now what about boost? i'm used to getting a boost controller to control the WG but that's on a car that can handle only 20psi or so with a turbo that can make much more. i haven't seen anything like this on here, so i'm assuming boost is always pretty much maxed out based on the wg actuator and turbo efficiency map?

how much torque is a stock turbo good for if i have good airflow and fuel to support it?

#16 ·
Minor engine damage, I get a P-pump. Major engine damage, and I get a P-pump and cam.

Of course, that's assuming I have the money to pay for anything after it all breaks...

I may not have money, but I have 35% interest credit! :$:

#17 ·
yeah sorry, i was asking about the 94-98 trucks.

so what happens with the KDP? i've heard of it and know there's a tab that must be modded or changed, or something, but what happens if it goes bad before it's modded?

#19 ·
^^^ cool thanks!
also, it looks like i have a good deal on a 99 24 v 5 speed set up. it has 179k on it but looks really clean, all stock too. anything to look for on those?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.