Cummins Diesel Forum banner

What should I do as a new cummins owner?

870 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  side2000 
#1 ·
I'm putting a 92 cummins into my truck... I'm having the auto transmission built as well as looking into the cam dowel pin fix (maybe it's pump dowel but I'm gonna fix that).. My plans are to put this motor in and then turn it up a bit on the pump. I'm wondering what else I should do while this mill is out on the floor. The 16 cm3 compressor housing seems like a good deal to but I thought I would ask those who know. And of course I mean anything I should do while it's out, not just for power improvements, thanks guys and gals.

#4 ·
if it has low miles you shouldnt have to do anything. pros might tell you otherwise as "might as wells" since motor is out, but you "might as well" do all mods you want while the thing is out. injectors are a pain so do those while its out. need injectors to get power out of a 12 valve.

#6 ·
when you put it in put a nice 4 in exhaust on it and scrap the muffler as for power just play with the pump a little and you should be happy .

#7 ·
The KDP is DEFINITELY something that you want to do while the engine is out. It's a plug behind the timing case. You really want to tap the dowel and Loctite all the other bolts in the vicinity too. Or so everybody always says.

Nothing else is that big of a pain with the engine installed, short of dropping the oil pan. I can't think of a reason to drop the oil pan, unless you wanted to rebuild the thing.

#8 ·
Thanks so far everyone.. It has 160k miles on it... Is the smaller cm3 turbo housing as good an upgrade as it sounds? I pulled this big hooor out yesterday and can't wait to get it in and running... Tell me more about the injectors please, I do want to make some power out of this thing, I do wonder why they'd be any harder to do in then out from what I can see. Thanks again.

#9 ·
do that rear injector with motor in truck n then tell me they cant be that bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.