Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Which air intake?

8K views 96 replies 36 participants last post by  JacktheBear3 
#1 ·
I want to get an intake with the dry filter set up. Obviously I want more air but I don't want to compromise filtration either. My truck is new and I don't wanna dust her. Please let me know the skinny on the intakes. Thx!:thumbsup

#2 ·
i would get a cool hose or a torque tube and put a amsoil nanofiber filter on it. works great and dosent cost as much as 3 tanks of diesel.

#3 ·
...or you could go with an AEM BruteForce HD, more expensive than what Tex mentioned but looks and sounds good and hads good filtration. I found mine for ~$287.

#4 ·
not a bad choice either.

what is your budget on this intake? that will help alot

#5 ·
i like the ICEBOX w/ the amsoil nanofiber filter..........im in construction .....gets very dusty.....evry week i take it out .the filter that is......and blow it out w/ a air compressor.........and a whistler i go!!!!

#7 ·
injen has a setup thats sick. has a nice looking box/tubing ...and even has a velocity stack in it.....also comes with the amsoil dry filter.

#36 ·
Yeah for close to $700

I'll take my Ice Box and barbies and play by myself thanks!

#8 ·
Didn't really have a budget in mind. I was more4 concerned with performance and filtration. I have a smarty on 3 and lookin into an exhaust too. I need more air. Heard good things re:dry filters. BTW, I'm in construction too and hence my concerns for filtration. I like the AEM filter covers too.

#9 ·
ive never seen dust or dirt,,,,,,in my torque tube or in the turbo.....not even in the box itself..........nanofiber filter kicks A$$

#10 ·
a BHAF is a tight fit in a 3rd gen. amsoil now has pre-filters, i got one for my 4510

my silicon was 25 on my last UOA with 11k on the oil. running a cool hose with a 4510. I have now added a pre-filter to it.

#13 ·
yes its safe and for under $500 its at the top of the $$$ list but sure a nice intake

#15 ·
r the Injen set ups all that? They claim to be factory tuned within air/fuel mixture ratios... Anyone install one of these?

#17 ·
I just installed my Icebox last week. Looks good and sounds great! Any improvement in mileage has actually decreased though, cause I love gettin on it and listenin to the whistle! Im gettin over that though (a little!)

#19 ·
#21 ·
Metrohick,

Why not just get a Amsoil drop in air filter and save your self a bunch of money. The Amsoil air filter allows more air flow then a stock filter and until you start to build power it will supply the engine with all the air it needs. BTW, If you do have the new 6.7 I've read about several who have used the 5.9 air filter in it with out any problems.

JMHO

#22 ·
I had a bad experience with a K&N filter on my Ford 7.3 and was told that paper actually filters better for catching particulates. Amsoil is an oil filter right?

#23 ·
Since you mentioned that you don't want to compromise filtration, then oiled air filters are out IMO. The Nanofiber filters don't compromise filtration quality. So, your Nanofiber choices are 1) get an AMSOIL Nanofiber drop in filter 2) Get an AMSOIL Nanofiber cone filter and make your own intake 3) Get an ICEBOX (which is what I run) or 4) Get the new AMSOIL/INJEN intake system that utilizes a Nanofiber filter.

#24 ·
I like both Icebox and Injen...Despite the 500 upgrade does one of these outperform the other or is this just preference? Is it safe to assume the torque tubes are equal as far as performance and flow ratings?

#27 ·
I like both Icebox and Injen...Despite the 500 upgrade does one of these outperform the other or is this just preference? Is it safe to assume the torque tubes are equal as far as performance and flow ratings?
The Injen/AMSOIL intake has a bigger filter and filter flange than the ICEBOX's filter. The Injen hooks up to the factory downtube, which can be gutted. It can also attach to an aftermarket downtube if you have one, or Geno's sells one.

The ICEBOX uses the biggest Nanofiber filters that are normally available. The flange diameter is smaller than the Injen Nanofiber filter, but you have the option to get a full torque tube replacement from ICEBOX that connects to the turbo.

-Chuck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.