Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Build me the perfect Dodge....

3K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  mmssix 
#1 ·
Hey guys, my first post, nice to meet ya :)

Here's the deal:
I'm looking for the "perfect" Dodge Diesel that balances fuel economy and pulling power. I'm hoping you guys can tell me what I should be looking for.
I need to use it to pull a big utility trailer from NY to AR, but after that trip is done it's going to be my daily driver.

Should I be going for a auto or manual?
What gear ratio?
Extended cab?
12 vs 24 valve?
What mileage is accptable?

I have about $12-$13000 max, to spend, don't much care about the age, type, or extras. Also, I hope to experiment with vegtable oil so if someone has an opinion on that, please chime in.

Many thanks,
Mike

#2 ·
:welcome::welcome:
if you want a truck that gets good mpg and is around that price i would look for a 12v. as for tranny, i would say go manual. i like the manuals for towing but if you are not going to tow after that trip you stated and are just going to use it as a dailey driver than i would say go auto. also if you plan on modding it much i wouldnt get the auto then, or atleast if you do get the auto beefed up first.

#3 ·
wellthe 24vs are chippable so you can squezze more MPGs out of them with programs...i would imaginethey have the low FP though so youll need a FASS/HPFP/airdog or something similar and get guages immediatley

for a daily driver ill recommend the auto

#4 ·
Manual with the 3.73 read end would be the best combination of pulling power and economy.

For vegetable oil, you really want the '94-98 12 valve. You can find a really nice one in your price range.

The P-pumped 12 valves get great mileage, and sky's the limit as far as power goes.

#5 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Question though - how do I determine what the gear ratio is without climbing underneath each one at the dealers?

#7 · (Edited)
So heres the info from craigslist on one I'm looking at, tell me what ya think.

2001 dodge ram 2500 quad cab 4x4 6spd diesel - $9999
169k 1 owner 6spd manual with cummings turbo diesel,$3500 in recent repairs,runs excellent,interior clean,body has some dings and dongs and scratches,missing tailgate. cheapest 6spd diesel anywhere

#9 ·
4x4's going to drop the economy a bit, but if you need it you need it.

It's kind of scary when somebody spends $3500 in repairs on a truck, then immediately turns around and sells it... That's not always the best of signs. Most likely it was just a dead injection pump, which the VP44's are notorious for. The problem can be largely fixed if you know what you're doing, but I don't think many would recommend that truck for veggie conversion.

#10 ·
the truck looks nice. I'm with Begle, the $3500 sounds an awful lot like VP pocket drain syndrome. After the dealer bumbled around with mine....twice it was around $3500 total. Good thing dodge paid for it....:T::T:

6 speed good with the 3.54(?) gears. I believe those are what mine has and I have pulled real heavy with it, total combined around 18k and it was up a 6% grade in 4th gear and running 60mph. Speed limit was 55. I have gotten upwards of 22mpg from mine, when my right foot was not involved to much...:w:

Autos are nice for daily drivers, I still like to row the gears though and don't hardly notice it when I drive, just something that happens while I drive.

12v's don't have the vp44, but they're a bit more labor intensive to bomb...I said a bit 12 valver's. 24v you plug and play after mods to fuel supply.....to save vp44.

#11 · (Edited)
Well I've spoken to the guy a bit (small dealer), and he says he put the money into things like a new bumper, new steering box, new front seats, new sway bar, new tow mirrors, and an A/C rebuild. He bought it for hauling a car trailer from the auctions, but ended up getting an 2005 that was a bit "prettier" instead...

He says at 70 mph he is running about 2100-2200 rpm's, so I'm not sure what gears he's got, but as it's a six speed, I fear they are the 4:10's, no confirmation yet though.

Tell me this - what would it take to change the gear ratio? Is this even possible without major surgery?

Mike

#12 ·
I don't think they are 4.10's. Mine at 70mph is right around 2000-2100, I'd say more towards the 2000rpm range. 1900rpm is right around 65mph.

With the year model it is I'd say they are what I have and I believe mine are the 3.54's. Get the vin and call the dealer parts department, tell them you need to know what kind of diff it is and gear ratio cause you need to know the oil specs.

But then again, it is a 6 speed so that kinda throws a wrench into my thoughts because mine is a 5 speed. Best bet is to get the vin or give me the last 8 on the vin # and I'll call my friends at the dodge dealer and find out all you need to know about it.

#13 ·
I've got 3.54's and IIRC at 70 mph I'm turning a skosh over 2,100 rpm. It appears the one you're contemplating has the 3.54's. Which, IMHO is what you'd want in a 2nd gen, especially if it's had a mod or two. If the 2nd gen engine were going to be left totally stock AND you were going to pull heavy all the time with it, then you'd probably want the 4.10's. But otherwise the 3.54's are mo' bettuh.

#17 ·
Alright, ran the vin and it turns out that this is a 4.10 geared truck. Must be 6th gear gives you the same rpm roughly as my 5spd 3.54 geared rig.

It has a dana 60 front, dana 80 rear and a 35 gallon tank. But like I said, mine runs around 2000rpm at 70mph and you said that one does the same. I wonder if your fuel mileage would really be any different than mine?

I'm not sure if all 6spds came with the 4.10's or not or how they offered the two gear options. Hope this helps out.

#18 ·
if jes turning 2100 at 70 with 4.10s imagine how low they be with 3.54s

#19 ·
Guys - I'm telling you, I have a 2000 model with 6 speed and 3.54's. I turn a right at 2,100 rpm at 70 mph. I've been staring at it for 130k miles.

My guess is that the guy selling the truck had his rpm and speed numbers off. Evidently the truck has 4.10's according to the VIN, unless it's already been changed out.

#21 ·
alright the perfect dodge, 2002 3500 srw 6 speed fass 150, any tuner that adds at least 60hp, and you'll be looking at some good mileage, also a 6 inch lift with some 35s twin 6" slant cut chrome stacks and a bad little blonde riding shotgun!:thumbsup

#24 ·
STOCK they suck yes, but ACTUALLY If u guys read about it, the VP44 is a very GOOD PUMP! The reason that they die is STRICKLY becasue of lack of lubrication and poor fuel delivery! They are amazing pumps as long as you treat them how they want to be treated. I hate hearing all this bad wrap about the VP44, especially when u can SAVE THEM with a Fass or Airdog.

K...now that my rant is over. Any Cummins is a nice truck!

#25 ·
Well I went and looked at it today, drove 160 there and 160 miles back to do so....
When I got there, I realized his idea of "dings and dongs" was wholesale denting, collision damage, chipping, and rust. Ran and shifted well but something wrong with the steering, it took a half a turn of the wheel to go around very soft bends....was strange. Also had oil all over the "front" of the engine.
And as for the RPM to Speed thing, at 74 is was turning around 2500 rpm, and it did have the 4.10's in it.

#26 ·
i would look for a straight body and good paint..at first i thought i wouldnt care but the more and more i think about it the more i wish i had got a truck with a perfect body.

but having been maliciously vandolized, i have gotten a second chance for this only this time insurance is paying

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.