Cummins Diesel Forum banner

30 psi on a vp44

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Caleb S 
#1 ·
i just put my second new fuel filter on.and i have 30psi at idle,will this hurt anything??

#2 ·
YES! That is too much pressure and it will damage it for sure! Too much pressure can be as bad as too little. Get that pressure down some asap.

#4 ·
Yes, you can damage your vp. The ideal pressures is probably 12 up to 17 psi. Anything above that can cause damage. I think I read somewhere that 21 psi is the max before damage occurs, but I wouldnt risk it.

#5 ·
how do you lower it,maybe a fuel pressure regulator???i have the spring and the bypass valve removed from the pump and that is what i have.if i put the spring and bypass valve in i get 45 psi.

#7 · (Edited)
What kind of pump you running? OK, Duh.....holley blue, I see it now. I think I read some where if you increase flow it will decrease pressure, I think by going to a 1/2 hose or something is where you would increase the flow, unless you have done that, big line kit is what I mean. Most likely I'm not of much help, I googled it and there is some info out there.

On another site, don't know if I can post it here, but another guy had the same problem and then someone mentioned a bypass he bought from Richard at Glacier diesel power that comes with shims that you can set fuel pressure where you want. Said his was at 26psi and after the bypass its right at 13psi. Here's a link to glacier they posted, Glacier Diesel Power - Product Detail. He said they sell the bypass seperate, tell Richard the problem and so on. Good luck...hope this helped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.