Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Boy, that diesel fuel boycott sure worked great!

4K views 43 replies 31 participants last post by  Yoteman 
#1 ·
I just drove past a sign for diesel at $4.25. That boycott you guys staged the first of this month worked wonders...what a waste of time.

There is only one way for consumers like you and me to have ANY effect on diesel fuel prices...buy BioDiesel. I make my own, but I'll confess that it's a messy job and much more time/work than I anticipated. If you don't want to mess with it all, you could at least start buying it. It's not like magic beans or voodoo...it's an EPA approved fuel source that will run in any diesel engine with no modifications needed. Because of its superior lubricity, it's better for your engine, it's American made (keeping our dollars in our country), and it's the only thing that can cripple Big Oil's profits. The only down side to it is that you may have to replace a fuel filter after you start using it because it's going to clean the inside of your tanks, lines and engine to a like new status. The junk it cleans will end up in your fuel filter. Yes, it cost about the same per gallon as diesel fuel, but if your going to give your money to someone, wouldn't you rather that be someone from your own country that's not trying to blow us all up? Just do a google search on biodiesel and you can easily find a map that will show you all the places you can buy it.

Grey

See less See more
#2 ·
I would love to run Bio but can't afford it, Down here the only place that sells it charges amost a dollar more a gallon then straight #2.

#4 ·
I'd be making my own if I could find the damn oil. I have everything I need to start except the oil.:CRY:

#6 ·
you guys Do realize that Bio is still mixed with #2 right....and also, the only time i was able to find and fill up with it...i got 2mpg less. Is this the norm, or did i get a bad batch of oil.

#29 ·
not B100

everyone should just not buy from one company

#8 ·
#10 ·
I've been running B20 for a few months now. What do I have to do to prepare my truck for B100?

#11 ·
Nothing. You can run it just like it is without any modifications. You will have to change the fuel filter once or twice earlier than normal because it will clean all of the crud from the tank.

#13 ·
I've been running B20 for a few months now. What do I have to do to prepare my truck for B100?

If you've run some b20 through it, you may have already cleaed the gunk out. Just have a filter on hand in case.

Grey

G
#14 ·
Biodiesel is just that, not mineral based. The "B**" is a mixture.

Bio diesel will run in the truck with no mods at all.

Waste cooking oil needs to be "processed" with lye and wood alcohol to be used in a truck with no mods. Cooking oil can be used without processing, but the truck will need mods for that fuel. Think of it this way: either the truck or the cooking oil needs to be modified.

Cummins says that the Biofuel is not recommended, BUT... that is because there is no set standard for the quality of the fuel. As such, Cummins doesn't know how the biofuel will affect their product. Cummins also said in that same article that most biofuels should pose no hazard to the engine. Again, though, they said they could not recommend it.

#17 ·
Heck there was a place here on Thursday that wanted $4.99. while the one across the street was $4.19. This is for straight #2. Talk about gouging.

#20 ·
Hate to break the bad news, but you can't cripple the oil companies. OPEC controls everything, and if they lose profit here they can just make up for it somewhere else. It's the OTR truckers that would be the only people who could make a difference, but I don't think prices would change still.

Zach

#21 ·
ya, I tried b100 in my 1990 for a while, ate up the seals on my lift pump, i wouldn't try it again unless I had a newer truck.

#23 ·
Cummins has approved 5% bio diesel and that was the standard for a long time. I heard recently that the big companies, CAT, Cummins and Detroit ok'd B20. Wether my info is 100% factual I don't know. I think....maybe I saw it somewhere in print, but can't be certain.

I have run B20 in my truck. But the station it is available at is near Nashville, not my house and when I buy it(bio) it costs the same as #2 diesel near my house. So no big pocket book gain for me. Kinda useless if you ask me. How we supposed to get off the OPEC stuff if the local stuff has no cost savings and is more inconvenient?

#24 ·
First of all, gonewelding, Semper Fi!

I've been running B100 for about 10,000 miles now with no problems at all. It's just my opinion, but I think Cummins (and anybody else for that matter) only wants people using B5 or B20, because there are a lot of homebrewers out there making bio and there are no quality control measure for them. Some (like me...I think) make it perfectly and test it well, but I'm sure others might screw it up from time to time.

As to the cost being the same as #2, at least your money is being spent on something made in America instead of funding middle eastern terrorist. If more people bought it, that's less #2 consumed. Lower demand means lower prices. The big difference between using bio and a boycott is that this actually reduces the amount of #2 sold. A boycott has no effect at all on consumption because those participating in the boycott either fill up before it starts, after it ends or both. By the end of the month, everybody has used the same amount of #2 as if the boycott never happened.

Grey

#30 ·
Semper Fi Grey!

Good point about the buying american...actually would be supporting my friend the bean farmer.

I've been checking into some B100 from the oil company I buy my Schaeffers from. I have two 55 gallon drums I figure I can go up to his place and load up, drop them at home and self pump at my place.

I think what I have heard is the big three are sittin on the fence not sure how the diesels are gonna take to the B100. Talking to some people close to the industry that was what I heard. I guess we're the lab rats out here in the real world. Just wish the bio was a bit more readily available.

#32 ·
By using commercial biodiesel all your doing is shifting supply and demand from Dino oil to food oil. The biodiesel has to be made from something readily available for refineries to make biofuels from. That will drive up the food prices which are poised right now to take a price hike.

I would rather eat than be able to drive more.

As far as slamming the strike, Some one has to start some where doing some thing before any thing will work.

Sitting on your hands praying for fuel to go down will produce nothing except sore hands and butt. :beer

#35 · (Edited)
Biodiesel from algae is the answer. Right now its hitting full stride. Take 1/10th the state of Nevada, cover it in Algae facilites, enough bio can be made for the entire country.

Support politicians that are for bio fuels that work! Making fuel from the foood supply is a horrible idea and we are seeing its ripple effects now in the world markets. Algae bio fuels ftw!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.