Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Installing gauges need help

865 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  bh10 
#1 ·
Im fine on the drilling part, im just an electrical idiot. But for getting power to the pyro Im should I use the cig lighter, or igition wire, I heard for the cig lighter you dont need a fuse just splice into it, true or no??

#2 ·
It's a very good idea to use a in-line fuse no matter where you tie in at for your power source.

#3 ·
The cigarette lighter would always be on, right?

You want ignition. That way it only comes on when the truck is running.

And for lights, you want to tap into the dimmer switch.

You definitely want to use a fuse. I put all my auxillary gauges on a switch, too, although that was mainly due to my inductance-tach beating the crap out of itself if I was sitting with the engine off listening to the radio...

#4 ·
Like posted, find a wire that is only on when the key is in the Run position. You can use a fuse tap for this to make things easier.
Find a good ground. Not hard.
Illumination. I believe on the 06 it was the white wire with the green tracer off the top of my head. Just tap it with a T tap or I prefer the Posi Tap.

#6 ·
You can use the cig lighter for the 12V switched power source, as it is only on when the key is on. Do not use the other 12V power outlet in the dash or in the center seat back. These are constant 12V supply even when key is off. I tapped off of the 100 pin connector under the driver's side dash with a wire tap like your pic. I used a pink wire with a yellow tracer, as instructed by the Diesel Manor instruction booklet. Then ran a short wire to an inline fuse (i think it was a 5 amp), then connected to the gauge wiring.

For the gauge lighting you can use the dimmer switch power supply. This wire is an orange with a brown tracer. Careful there are two. You will need a test light to see which one dims down with the dimmer switch.

Go to DieselManor - Taking the Mystery out of Diesel Performance™ to download their install instructions. Just take your time. If I can do it, anyone can.:thumbsup

#9 ·
I would put one in. Go to radio shack or other electronics shop and get an inline fuse tap. Better safe than sorry.:thumbsup

Also there two pink wire w/ the yellow tracer, one thicker than the other which one do i use the thinner or thicker wire?
I used the thinner of the two. I just went out and checked to be sure. However, with that said, you should use a test light and make sure its a keyed source. :thumbsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.