Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Finer Filtration. Cummins, FleetGuard, Explained

8K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  JakeDiesel 
#1 ·
I got Carried away on another thread, and finally put this info in writing so I thought I would share. Hope It helps! :thumbsup

The filter brand and company FleetGuard Is owned by Cummins as well. That is why Cummins (Big Rig) engines come factory with fleetguard filters. Cummins Puts alot of money into R&D on there filters, to prolong the life of there engine much longer then there competitors. Which is why the Stratapore Technology Is so far advanced then many other filter manufacturer.

Stratapore Type filters offer Much finer filtering, with out restricting oil flow or pressure. In fact, it is less restrictive then then your average filter. And the cost is still resonible. The stratapore technology is the paper element, inside the filter.

Get this- anything that is the size of 30 microns, is visible from the naked eye, 20/20 vision. Anything below that is not visible. Your average, off the shelf oil filter can only filter up to about 25 to 30 microns. Most Stratpore technologly filters, filter down to 10 microns! And for us diesel fans, dealing with soot and our beloved black smoke, Get this. One particle of soot, is, from what i remember, 2 microns. If one particle of soot, combines with another particle of soot, due to the lack of additictives and quality of filtration, it practically becomes a polishing compound getting in there on your valves, main bearings, Cylinder walls, you name it. Soot, on the hardness scale is rated at 9. Diamonds are rated at 10!!! With this stuff going through your engine, it can obviously put a wear on engine components.(That is where the advantage of Bypass Oil Filtration comes into Play)

But just by running a quality, 10 micron oil filter, in theory you have just near tripled the life of your engine! Bypass oil filtration added on, And you will have a long running engine.

Hope That helps, Pretty sure that info is accurate. :thumbsup

See less See more
Reactions: -coaltrain-
#5 ·
good info, fleetguard for me!

#8 ·
:lol3: :lol3: I thought FORD owned Fleetguard :lol3: I mean, Fleetguard starts with an "F".

Nice read by the way :D

#13 ·
I have used the fleetguard filters or the CASE IH ultra for years. Very good results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.