Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Need Advice

839 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  rjones14 
#1 ·
I am currently looking at a 98' or 99' dodge 3/4 ton with a cummins turbo diesel. I know nothing about a diesel truck. It is a manual shift with a Low. The truck was used by a const. superviser, but has been sitting for a year or so. I know the owners, we put batteries in it yesterday and it fired right up ideling steady at about 1,500. It drove fine, power windows worked, cold A/C and working radio. The truck is not offically for sale, he said I could have it for $2000, BUT it has 250,000 miles on it. What do the pros think?
Thanks

#2 ·
250K, should be about broke in... For 2K I would buy it.... But have a mechanic look at it to make sure its not going to cost you 2-10K more once you buy it.... But the motor, if taken care of, should be just fine... I would change the fuel filter and oil ASAP.

#3 ·
for $2000, let us know how bad he was screaming from where you ripped his arm off getting the keys :thumbsup

#4 ·
250,000 with regular maintenance on these trucks is not bad at all. Did you happen to notice if it was a 12v or 24v motor? It will say right under "ram 2500" Cummins 24 valve turbo diesel or something like that...

#7 ·
The p7100 injection pump can push more fuel on the 12V then the VP44 rotary pump on the 24V. But the 24V has somewhat better airflow in the head...it is a trade off. The biggest problem with the 12V is the KDP, or killer dowl pin, which if not addressed can cause problems but it is a fairly easy fix. The biggest problem with the 24v motors is the lift pump that feeds the vp44, if a better one does not replace the stock lift pump, the lift pump could fail and starve the fuel lubricated VP44 to death. But there are plenty of good aftermarket lift pumps out there. :thumbsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.