Cummins Diesel Forum banner

pyro install, help!

1K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  D Gandy 
#1 ·
im getting ready to do my gauges, the boost and trans temp shouldn't be a problem but im nervous about the pyro. ive seen it 2 ways on the internet instructions. one says leave the turbo on and let the drill bit do the work with pulling out the big shavings, the other is to take off the turbo and stuff with rags. i know which one i SHOULD do but is the first possible? i have the reccomended size R bit and tap but any input would be great, thanks.

#3 ·
so u left your turbo on and just drilled with a shop vac right there? and no problems? how along did u do it?

#5 ·
I did mine the same way as straight six. I used small drill bits slowly working up to the last one. Rigged up my shop vac with a small vac hose on the end to vac out the hole. Then I ran truck at idle for a few minutes to let any leftover metal flakes blow through turbo. No problems so far.:beer

#6 ·
I take off the turbo. Even without fear of damage to the turbo, with the turbo off I can make sure that I get the probe directly in the middle of the manifold, and not an some skew angle that's close to hitting the side of it.

#7 ·
I did 2 of them. marked it and drilled, then tapped. no issues, no problem. took about 10min. I was careful at the end so I went through slowly, that way the drill bit would take most everything out. If something fell in there, it was so small and blown out the back before the truck was fully running.

#8 ·
just leave the truck running while your doing it. it blows out the shavings(wear eye protection)

#12 ·
People i know just drill it, no lube, nothing, just go straight for it, u will be fine!

Mike

#13 ·
I drilled mine post turbo. Some people don't like this because it reports the EGT's about 150 desgrees lower then right into the manifold, but it's safer for the turbo. A) Because you don't risk the shaving going through the high pressure turbo system, and B) If the needle breaks off the pyro probe pre turbo, where it going? With 30lbs of boost right into your nice working whistling charger.

To each his own, but I just watch the EGT's and mentally read it baout 100 degrees higher and I know I'm safe.

#14 ·
Sure, it might be 100 degrees lower... Or it might be 300 degrees lower... Aftermarket turbo could be a 400 degree difference, twins could be a 600 degree difference... The total degree difference is dependent on boost pressure, RPM and fuel quantity... Afterburning EGT's are going to be 50% more of a difference than pressure EGT's, nitrous is going to make things less of a difference, porting and gasket matching is going to make things less different unless you're at low RPM's and boost pressure, under which case it's going to make things more different...

To know how much you have to add to the post-turbo temperature to get the proper pre-turbo temperature, it is best to put a probe pre-turbo and use a computer to calculate the mark-up.

#15 ·
I had someone tell me "the true purpose of the pyrometer is to read the temperature that is coming out of the cylinders, so the closer you can get the probe to those cylinders is the best." Afterall, that is the whole reason we use the gauge right?

I definitely drilled mine pre turbo. It wasn't hard at all. I couldn't find an R bit so I just used a 21/64 and then tapped it with 1/8 npt. I had my wife hold the vacuum while I drilled. Started small and worked my way up. No problems.:thumbsup

#17 ·
when i get mine done in the next week or so you can have mine if u want it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.