Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Serious mpg gains

893 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  BlueSportDiesel 
#1 ·
So i filled up 10 days ago and on this fill up i have gotten 420 miles on 3/4 tank which is unusually high since i normally only get 450-60 on less than 1/8. Could it be that the warmer weather is helping my mpg or a faulty gauge. I dont want to run it dry. My dads gauge was off by about 1/8 and he ran his dry but i cant remember what the problem was on his. Any help would be great!:beer

#2 ·
What are you asking? If your getting really good fuel mileage? How should we know. Here's a thought, go get fuel and see how much it will take. I know that I don’t really ever trust my fuel gauge I tend to fill up based on mileage.

#4 ·
thats really not a big deal beacause any where under a half a tank the gauge moves quicker than above 1/2. this is obvious when driving long trips and you fill up above full tank and it taks an hr for the gauge to move but when u get lower the gauge will move from 1/4 to 1/8 very rapidly. therefore the amount of gallons when your on 1/4 is not really half of a 1/2 tank. the gauge isnt accurate in that sense.so really you dont really burn that many gallons to get from a 1/4 to an 1/8 as you would from a full tank to 7/8.

#6 ·
and filling above the float

#7 ·
Its approaching summer, so now we are getting summer fuel. You should get better mileage in the summer because of that. I know I get right around 20 in the summer and around 16-17 in the winter.

#8 ·
Thanks for the replies i figured the fuel in the summer was different and in addition the truck wont take as long to warm up it just surprised me i was getting that much better mileage

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.