Cummins Diesel Forum banner

High Iron in the UOA, 2006 5.9

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  speed185187 
#1 · (Edited)
My Dad just sent an UOA in and it came back with high Iron and Aluminum. The Iron was just over 100 ppm, and the Aluminum at 11 ppm. The oil is Amsoil 5w-30 HDD, with Amsoil Full flow and EaBP110 bypass. There is 10K on the oil and ~25K on the motor. The TBN is at 10.5, so good there.. His truck is setup the same as mine in the sig, but its an 06 w/ a G56.

There has been some good towing on the oil, both light and loaded, and mostly hwy miles.

So, on to the wear..... I have been reading UOA info all morning and it seems that high iron is fairly common with new (less than 50K miles) motors, and with multiple oils.... But this is double what some are calling high... What could this be???

#3 ·
Well its been 3 months and 5K miles....

BAD NEWS!!!

My dad did another UOA and it came back with high iron, copper, aluminum, and lead... The tech said that a bearing was probably failing. All on a motor with less than 40K, and its been well taken care of, good oil, bypass, good maintenance...

So how do we get the dealer to do work based on a UOA?

The filter will be cut open by the oil analysis people next week to look for chunks.

#4 ·
run the piss out of it to make sure it breaks under warranty :popcorn:
Keep us updated I'm suscribed

#7 ·
With all the UOA I've seen on these boards over the years, Amsoil ALWAYS seems to have high iron in UOA's!!! Can't speak for the other minerals, only the iron!! Do a search if you'd like and you'll see what I mean!! It is very good oil though!!

#8 ·
I thought high copper was the normal high for amsoil... but I guess its REALLY high.. I haven't seen it yet, but when I do I will post some numbers.

#9 ·
I had the numbers but think I deleted them....

They did do an analysis of the filter and found of chromium and iron, suggesting a ring was going out. They don't think it will fail soon, but who knows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.