Cummins Diesel Forum banner

'01 cummins 6 speed

680 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  blacksmoke5.9 
#1 ·
i'm kinda new to the site, but i'm finally figuring it out. i'm looking at buying an '01 cummins 6 speed quad cab short bed. original owner, 56K , with banks power pack.
anyone have anything i need to know about this truck? problems, or just experience? it seems like a sound truck to me, but i haven't gotten to drive it yet. anthing i need to be looking for? thanks!

#2 ·
First off, you might want to see if the block is a 53. This can be found as a 5 3 stamped right on the side of the block on the underneath side. Some people have more problems with these blocks cracking than any of the other blocks. Another thing the 24v's have to deal with is their VP44 injection pump as well as the stock lift pumps. Usually the lift pump goes out first, then this will starve the injection pump, thus creating a repair bill anywhere from 1100-1800 just for an injection pump(speaking from experience on that one..of course I got a HR pump but still..not good). If the truck already has an upgraded lift pump, youd be set there. If it has the stock lift pump, you can either put a FASS or Airdog on to combat the problem of running the stock lift pump. This will give you great, consistent fuel pressure and not starve the injection pump. I would strongly suggest a fuel pressure guage or a low fuel pressure indicator light as a precaution to watch things also. And I would suggest seeing if the guy will take it somewhere and you meet him there and see if any codes are showing up. But thats just my two cents

#3 ·
thats pretty much all the mad things i've heard about the 01 24v i have also had problems with the back doors but mine see's a lot oil field and rough roads.. good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.