Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Well, it's on...

1K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  crusinsa 
#1 ·
Yup, in the attempt to make a good impression on the soon to be mother-in-law, I allowed her to drive my truck after I had the Edge and the Air Raid put on.

So, after that drive (which I wasn't in the truck) she has now called out her neighbor in his '08 Dodge Caliber SRT4...on my behalf.

Stay tuned for the results, the race is Wednesday evening.:thumbsup

#4 ·
An instagating mother in law, that's funny! I had a buddy (co-worker) do that to me when I had me D-Max to a guy w/ a Ford F-150 Harley Dadvidson edition @ work. The guy then started talking smack about my truck and I told him to relax. After a full night of picking at me I finally decided to show him down. We started from a dead stop, 30mph and 50mph and tore him a new one everytime. After that I told my buddy to stop running his mouth about my truck and piss people off. The guy had no idea what a Diesel even was and told me it was no fair, I had a turbo! I said, umm, you have a supercharger dude!!11! Anyways, gotta love instagators! Not bashing your mother in law, I just know the feeling!

#5 ·
Dam! Thats a shame you gotta go smoke some econobox in a race.:lol3: Whats she got lined up next for you to race against? Her Buick?:rof

#6 ·
Nah, she's got an Excursion w/ the ol' Ferd diesel in it.

Lil' Dodge car has a lil' turbo in it. Might actually take me. He's getting about 12lbs. of boost out of it.

I figure if he beats me, I'll go home and get my gooseneck stock trailer and have each one of us hook up to it and see who can pull it the best! :lol3:

#9 ·
He said something about by the airport, dunno if he means over at EP or down at Santa Teresa. I'll find out when I go over to his place, we're leaving from there. 14's huh? Wonder if that's at our altitude around here?

I ran the little attitude 1/4 mile trial deal today on US HWY 54. Only clocked 16.6 as the best time, plus lost about 12 ft. of rubber off of the rear tires!:w:

#11 ·
Trust me Rocking BRanch,,, your gunna want to heat the back tires once just prior to showtime (roll em to smoke) or he is going to leave you quick before you spool up and try to run it down. Have someone tape it so we can all see.
this ought to be good.

You will need a 15# Launch too.
Good Luck:thumbsup

#10 ·
i had something similar happen.....i work a 6 week on and 6 week off with pay schedule where I work and on my time off I will go around texas visiting buddies or family.....well I went to go stay with a friend in fort stockton and after about 2 hours we decided to go to the store to pick up some beer...as I went inside I noticed him talking to some guys in a new mustang gt, well after I came out we got back in my truck and he said that he told the fellas in the car that I had injectors, an mp-8, edge juice w/attitude, bully dog power pup and countless other mods when I actually only had a straight pipe on my 6.7......now if you wanna talk about instigating...there you go lol....but the funny thing was that they actually left before I made it back to my truck....i would have raced em anyway even without mods.

#12 ·
Yeah, I was planning on dropping the air pressure down to around 45 or 50 on the rears and doing a good burn out to heat 'em up. Dunno about a boosted launch as I've heard the auto tranny's don't fair very well without being built up.

Did some research on the Calibers and they are running around mid 14's at sea level thru the quarter mile. Their turbos are restricted to giving only 12lbs of boost max and they can't get that in 1st or 2nd gear. The computer on them also limits their torque capabilities at launch and thru second gear do to extreme torque steer problems with the CV's

I'm figuring that here with an elevation of between 4 and 5000 feet, he'll drop anywhere between 1.5 and 3 seconds from the 14's these cars run at sea level. That was the drops we used to see at the drag strip here back when I used to race there. Overall, should be a good race, I think. He's got a stick shift and I've got an auto. He's got less HP and torque, but weighs almost a third of what I weigh.

Gonna put the ol Attitude on level 5, turn on the bluegrass, light up a smoke and have some fun!!:peelout

#13 ·
Well, the result are in. Me and the little Caliber SRT Turbo lined up two times and two times he shut me down by about 4 car lengths. :CRY:

Learned a few good lessons though. 1st is don't do boosted launches with stock E rated tires. Even with them deflated down to 50lbs. Leaves nasty 45ft. black marks (went back and measured)! 2nd is don't race with stock tires period. Leaves nasty 15ft. black marks. 3rd is these 6.7litres do get hotter on the egt than the 5.9s. Hit 1575 @ about an 1/8th of a mile. Gotta play around with that one. On a good note I offered to have a pulling contest with him and his buddies that were there. A Caliber, an old Chevy 3500 gasser, a Chevy 1500 and a Mustang GT. They thought I was crazy when I said all at once and opted not to! :woot:

#15 ·
Oh well, none of his buddies cars could have kept up either...lol
I got reamed the other day by an older camaro ss, bout a 99 model or so, left me at around 65mph...but i had him for a second or two...

#16 ·
Ah, they were all good guys. As soon as I pulled up, they were wondering why in the world such a big, heavy truck wanted to run against the Caliber. Don't know exactly how fast my time woulda been in the 1/4, but I had reset my speed and stuff on the Attitude and when I pulled it up it read 90 mph for max speed reached. Just wish I had better tires for that run. But, I need E rated for my livestock trailer and the stuff I haul around the ranch.

#18 ·
Well the nice thing is it was a another Dodge. I know those srt4 neons were quick. I drove one. Sounds like you had fun and they probably have a new appreciation for big Dodge Rams.

did you launch in 4X4? I know its hard on stuff but boosted in 4X4 really leaves hard. I have done it, after reading about the problems I have stopped doing it just for fun.

#19 ·
Nah, I was in 2wd. Did a test run the other day in 4wd and actually ran 2/100ths slower.

I really do like that Edge Juice /w Attitude. It defueled me about halfway down the track because of the tranny I think. Nice to have "mom" watching over my shoulder to make sure I don't break something! :lol3:

#20 ·
i ran my buddies 08 dodge charger rt with the hemi i had him by about 4 cars until 100mph

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.