Cummins Diesel Forum banner

New here and need some help!

1K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Iguess 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I am looking at buying a 1ton dually soon but have some things I need to know. I want a 3rd gen but dont know what year to look for. I know that some years are better then others and some had tranmission problems. I will be hauling alot with this truck and it will be an auto transmission. So if you could give me some things to look for and what will need to be done to fix it. Say I get an 05 auto that have not the best transmission can I put a newer one on or upgrade? Please let me know. Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
:welcome:

Oh yea.. u can upgrade the trans..

with that upgrade you are prolly lookin at 5k plus... maybe a lil less.. depending on what trans u go with..

are you lookin at any other mods?

#5 ·
05 is best. they have a good tranny, they have a great engine ( I know there all great) They have a nice interior. I like them better then newer ones. About the only downside is that the intercooler comes with plastic ends, that are only held on with crimps. So they have a tendency to let go and leak. It cost me 850 from chrysler to fix that. Of course if you dn't use a boost fooler you may never have a problem. Really you won't go wrong with any of the 3rd gens. It comes down to how old your prepared to go and how much you want to spend. Find one with as low as miles as you can for the money you want to spend and have a truck for a very long time.

#7 ·
Stock to stock I am only guessing but I would say the 6.7 has nicer power, plus comes with exhaust brake. Its much the same engine I believe just bigger displacement and has that new emissions stuff.
As far as not having good credit, Chrysler is the best place to go. I think if you breath they will give you an new truck. At least thats how it seemed to me. Scared the crap out me when they basically told me to take anyone I wanted home.

#8 ·
I guess I can try to get new. I think I want an 5.9 but just dont want the transmission to go. Like I said I will be hauling most of the time. 5g to upgrade the transmission but is that like fully built? That is alot to spend. I dont want one for 600 hp. Just some things I can do so it wont go out. When the trans has problems what are they?

#9 ·
well you throw 600 ponys at it you better be prepared to spend some money. Now if you run it stock or with a programmer, the only real issue is the TC if you are pullin hard on a high setting. These trannys get lots of negative, but they really are quite tough. the TC is weekest link. it cost me 2200 bucks to have a good one put in. Did it need probably not and my truck has 180,000km. The old one was showing signs of heat where the lockup clutches are, But I run my predator on the highest levels. I have stopped driving the crap outa it because I do want like it and would like to drive it a long time. I still would like to have something left after its paid for. I also had a shift kit put in, not sure I really like that either, I liked it before the TC, but with then new tc it really hammers into overdrive. Good luck sorting it all out. I went through chrysler credit but bought used. If you push it a bit you can get decent interest rate. I kept holding off, and they kept coming back with better offers. Finally said gives us a couple grand and no payments for 3 months. I was in a spot as I was waiting for insurance company to tell if they were to right off my other truck that was hit by a guy runnig a red light.

#10 ·
I said that I am not going to run 600 hp. The only mods I plan on doing are exhast,intake,maybe some kind of programmer.
What is the TC? What is the next weekest thing? I just dont want to over work the trans and have to spend 5 grand to get a new one.
Thanks for all the advice. Let me know what a TC is please.

#14 ·
If you’re keeping within the recommended gvwr and not abusing it the stock tranny will be fine under stock HP. Keeping your tranny fluid clean and the temps down are the key. High temps and hard accelerations are killers

#16 ·
I have a 03 HO 48 3.73 edge 1000cat 3rd setting?4inch exhaust mod intake drilled elbow boost.I pull or hall up to18,000 and only have 113,000 miles.AND RUNS VERY STRONG AND GOOD!!!LOVE MY CUMMINS>WHEN MY WIFE ISN"T STEALING IT BACK!!!!!

#17 ·
tc

tc equals torque converter. Definately a weak link.

#18 ·
Personally If it was me I would go with an 2004 but not a 2004.5 your get the 48re which is better than the 47 but you get the good engine not the 600 series.

#21 ·
So I have been looking around and still dont know what to do. I will be hot shotting with this truck so I will need the trans to hold up. I am trying to buy newer(07-08) but dont know if I can. So that will leave me older(04-06). Let me know what you guys think.
Also what is so much better with the chassis cab trans? Told they where better along with flatbeds. I dont know that much about these trucks yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.