Cummins Diesel Forum banner

So, if these motors last 300k, what happens at 300k?

12K views 36 replies 23 participants last post by  logan85 
#1 ·
I am not yeat a Cummins owner, but I am seriously shopping for one now. I have found a 2001 QC short bed stickshift in Upstate South Carolina. The price is spectacular, the ad claims that both pumps are new and the truck looks like a brand new truck in the Craigslist ad.

The kicker is that the truck has 275,000 miles on it. I drive about 25k a year, and I am curious what the hell happens one year from now when I hit 300k?

Am I making a mistake to buy this thing?

Please give me EXPERIENCES not just OPINIONS... thanks, ya'll.

#2 ·
take care of it and it will last you much longer. Don't take care of it and I would say that, just like any other motor with high mileage, the rings will start to wear down and it will lose compression

#3 ·
It should last forever.

Things that go wrong and are unavoidable would be, err, seals and, err, journals and bearings, and, err, valve seals and, err, not much really tends to ever go wrong without somebody doing something that's asking for it...

#4 ·
There are Cummins powered Dodges on the road with over a million miles on them. It's no big deal to get over 500K miles with no engine problems. Dead or dying lift pumps on the 24 valve are a common problem.

#9 ·
From everything that I have heard, the first rebuild usually is only a valve job and then the second time around will be a rebuild.

#15 ·
:lol3:

:lol3:

#18 ·
Yep, well, the truck sold last night.... they only wanted $6000 for it. But apparently the engine smoked white for the first 2-3 minutes and idled erractically at startup. Sounds like that "new VP44" was already headed south...... yikes.

#23 ·
350K on my 2001, installed fuel gauge to monitor it, otherwise stock work truck, and hope it will go another 350K.

#24 ·
hey, i am looking at a 2006 dodge ram cummins 3500 dually mega cab, it currently has 340k on it...i love the truck, drives, runs great, and checks out fine...is this a smart idea to buy with that many miles? ive heard these trucks last forever...but i am new to this so any advice would help...THANKS!

#30 ·
I wouldn't go anything over $14k. Find out when the injectors were replaced, and if it's anywhere near time to do it again then 14k is way too much. If the front end joints need replaced that's easily another $1k. Find out when the tranny/clutch (if manual) was serviced too.
I just turned 352k on my '03 and the only signs of slowing down right now is my rocker panels are nearly gone from rust. It's had it's share of routine maintenance over the years, but that can be expected.

#33 ·
300,743 Miles on my 2007, and the market value is not very much but I will run it till it drops dead, either the engine, transmission or the body.

#34 ·
wow i have well over 350,000 on mine and its running as good as my buddies that has 100,000. also that price is WAY TO HIGH! i got mine as a straight across trade for my 2006 stock yamaha rhino 450

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.