Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Oil color at 12,000 miles...

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  illflem 
#1 · (Edited)
Let me start by saying I know that the color/transparency of oil has no validity on the condition of the oil and that oil analysis is the only way to know if the oil is good for use.

I just thought I would throw a pic up of my oil with 12,000 miles on it. I am using Amsoil AME 15w-40 and the Amsoil EaO80 oil filter. it is just a tad darker than when the oil was put in new. Amsoil AME 15w-40 is a very dark oil even when new.

By no means could this oil be called black.

See less See more
#5 ·
I forgot to mention I am NOT running a by-pass. When Nov comes around or 25,000 miles I will pull a sample and see what it says. 25,000 miles on the Amsoil is a walk in the park.

#6 ·
I don't mean to dig up an old post here but I would be more concerned about why it's not black. Do you have an early 04? Maybe that's why no internal egr.

#7 ·
I would be more concerned with any of the 23 diesel engine trucks, tractors and equipment I own didn't turn the oil black in 12 miles let alone 12,000.
The black is the soot the oil is designed to hold in suspension. Since you never get it all out in an oil change it gets darkened the first time you start the engine.
No mater if it's synthetic or dino oil it should still hold the soot in suspension.
Now maybe some of the more modern engines don't make as much soot but my understanding is the newer CJ oil was designed to hold even more soot than the CH because not as much particulates are emitted out the tailpipe on the newer engines, they end up in the oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.