Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Hi thinking of buying a 97 2500 cummins need advise/information thanks!

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  IPOLUTE 
#1 ·
Hi am considering buying a 97 2500 4x4 ext cab cummins/auto its got 148k a brand new injection pump leather interior new tires seems to run/drive very well transmission shifts well also. Asking price is $8000

I currently own a 98 chevy z-71 1500 4x4 ext cab silverado 5.7 vortech/auto 3.42 gears. 128k which i would be tradding in (owe 7000) anyway.. I am currently pulling a 30' fleetwood travel trailer that wieghs 7600+ and the chevy gets the job done but it really strains on the big hills and i get 10mpg at best pulling it.. 16/17mpg empty.

Im thinking that the dodge would get better milleage all around? with and without my trailer than the chevy?? Im also thinking that my travel trailer would be nothing to a cummins?

Basicly this:

How much is the truck worth?

What are things to look for as far as problems on these? (i know very little about diesels)

What kind of mileage will i get with and without my trailer?

How long will the transmission last?

Will i be shooting myself in the foot if i trade my current truck in on it?

It seemed kinda slugish is there many cheap upgrades for the 12valve? or will they feel weak without a load on them??

Cons i can see so far:

Gas is ALOT cheaper than diesel

My current truck is a 3 door

Dodge auto trannys ive always heard bad stuff about

The chevy has ALOT nicer interior even though the dodge does have leather.

See less See more
#2 ·
:welcome::welcome:

Ok working from the bottom up...

You would be surprised at the Dodge interior, once you get used to it it is awesome...now when I get into a Ford or Chevy I just laugh.

I'm more of a manual tranny person myself but you can beef up a auto tranny to make it hold some power. Just cost alot!!!

Yeah but it is a squeaking 3 door. Seems to me Chevy couldn't ever figure out to lose some weight on the doors or put better hinges in the d@mn thing! Almost every Chevy in that body style I've been it has squeaked. A quadcab Dodge would be nice but it's a PITA to find a 12valve QC.

TONS. Do a search on this forum. I will add some links later. But for now you can: turn up the Injection pump(free), intake, injectors, turbo, exhaust, etc, etc

I had a 94 Z-71 on 33's and my brother HAS a 97 Z-71 on 35's or so. I personally just don't really care for them. It would be a great decision to buy the Cummins. Better fuel mileage, WAY more power, straight axle, reliability, AND DON'T YOU KNOW CUMMINS GETS THE LADIES!!!

Couldn't tell you on the tranny. It depends on the history or the truck (ie driven hard after being turned up or lots of pulling)

Don't know about the mileage either. But I have heard that the 12v gets less than the 24v.

IMO you should do it, kinda hard to say w/o seeing the truck but it sounds alright after a good check through.

Well that's about the extent of my knowledge...good luck!

-Robert-

#3 ·
It looked like it had a 5th wheel hitch at one time so who knows what it has pulled... The chevy really isnt squeeky.. Its not really been off road much if any and was babied and hadnt done any towing untill i bought it a couple years ago.. The only thing i could find that had been donw to this one is has straight pipe exhaust out the back no cat or muffler

#4 ·
well it all depends on you and your budget. My dad just bought a 96 cummins with an auto tranny and he loves it. It has 100k on it though but really 148 thousand aint bad. If you do the math 148000/40 gives you around 3700 hours on the engine. I am a mechanic on case construction and I have seen alot more hours than that on backhoes and what not. The difference is the hours on equipment like that is they are alot harder hours. Auto trannies are great if you plan on spending 3k in the future for a good tranny. The benifits of a Auto is that you don't loose boost pulling up hills and what not. Look at the front end and see if it is tight. Also you need to be aware of the KDP (Killer Dowel Pin) Look to see if there is alot of oil on the front cover. There will be some but not massive amounts. Ultimetly it is up to you though and what you think.:thumbsup

#5 ·
A side note to that is make sure it is not a #53 block there were a few of them from 97 on the 12 valves

#6 ·
And as far as get up and go you can turn it up for around 600 dollars if you do it yourself. That would covere a tranny temp gauge, egt gauge , and a boost gauge plus a fuel plate. My dads gets 18mpg no matter what but he is an old man not a lead foot like me. See what the gear ratio is in the rear end. I would recommend getting a rear end with 3:55 in them and not the 4:10's

#8 ·
Well I guess ya learn something new everyday! Thanks CTDFan5.9!

#9 ·
:welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome:

I own a 97 ctd 12 valve absolutely love it. YOU WOULD BE A FOOL FOR NOT GETTING THAT TRUCK IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT :$::$::$::$:.

You can build the 12 valve to get extreme amounts of horsepower and torque for way cheaper then a 24 valve. But you will need to check on the kdp I don't know what that guy was saying about looking at the front cover with oil leaking anywhere no way bs. NEVER SEEN THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO FOR IT YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.......... :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

#10 ·
Alot of the time if the KDP falls out it will not totally sieze up the engine but will crack the front cover on its way down. If you have never seen that maybe you might want to work on 12 valves a bit more. No Offense just been around alot of them thats all.

#11 ·
Well crap... It must have been a good deal indead because when i went by today on my way to work it was gone! I looked at it like an hour before he closed saturday and he had literaly just put it on the lot.. Apparently somone bought it right before he closed unless he is having it detailed or what not.. He had an 00 an 01 and an 02 there i had not even looked at but really didnt want to get into to much $$ I want to find one that i can get for 10k or less since i can trade the chevy and come out even on payment or possibly even less payment.. I really really really want a stick and they seem to be few and far between.. maybe i'll get lucky if i keep looking!

#13 ·
Time is an essence it took me about 3 months to find just what I wanted and let me tell you it was well worth it. Try ksl.com it has a classifieds section and then click on the cars then you can select what options you want. Thing about it is is it's in utah but lots of good truck come on there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.