Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Ford owns cummins!

3K views 28 replies 23 participants last post by  MoparProud 
#1 ·
Just kiddin. I got a guy i work with that drives a ford powerjoke and hes one of those guys that claims that ford owns cummins so i wanna clear the air once and for all. Do they or not!?

#2 ·
Just kiddin. I got a guy i work with that drives a ford powerjoke and hes one of those guys that claims that ford owns cummins so i wanna clear the air once and for all. Do they or not!? I dont think they do but i wanna be sure.

#9 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong, But I beleive Ford and the Powerjoke USED to be made my International, Cummins has always been Cummins, and The Duracrack is owned by Isuzu...

#10 ·
"Navistar International Corporation (NYSE: NAV) is the parent company of International Truck and Engine Corporation, a leading producer of mid-range diesel engines, medium trucks, school buses, heavy trucks, severe service vehicles, and parts and service sold under the InternationalÒ brand. The company also is a private label designer and manufacturer of diesel engines for the pickup truck, van and SUV markets. With world headquarters in Chicago, Navistar had 2000 sales and revenues of $8.5 billion. Additional information can be found on the company’s web site at www.nav-international.com."

Media.Ford.com: Ford, Navistar International Announce Joint Venture

#11 ·
Cummins is a publically traded stock on the NYSE.
Here is a good summary from teamsters.org website.

"Cummins, Inc. Fact Sheet
• Cummins, Inc. is headquartered at 500 Jackson Street, Box 3005, Columbus, IN 47202-3005, (812) 377-5000. Tim Solso has been the CEO since 2000. There are no dominant shareholders.
• Cummins consists of four business segments: Diesel Engines, Power Generation, Components and Distribution. The first three business segments manufacture engines for vehicles and for power generation, as well as engine-related components. The Distribution segment sells and services Cummins’ products domestically.
• Since 2001, under the current CEO, the Distribution segment has received greater strategic emphasis. After the most recent round of reorganization, the Cummins Distribution Segment in the U.S. is composed of 15 regional companies, most of which are joint ventures.
• Cummins Inc. has claimed a 45-percent increase in earnings from its joint ventures in distribution in 2005-2006, thanks to organic growth and corporate reorganization of the segment.
• Cummins has posted record sales across its business units for three consecutive years. In 2006 the company generated $11.36 billion in sales, and posted a net income of $715 million, outperforming its competitors.
• Cummins has been, for eight years running, a member of Business Ethics Top 100. Its stock is part of the ethical investment indexes generated by KLD and others.
• Cummins has a Code of Conduct, applicable to all its subsidiaries and joint ventures, requiring respect for the right of employees to freely associate in labor unions for the purpose of collective bargaining.
• Cummins has joined with other U.S.-based companies operating in China to actively oppose efforts in China to improve laws providing minimum labor rights to Chinese workers. Chinese truckmaker Dongfeng is Cummins’ second-largest customer.
• Chrysler, which manufactures Dodge Ram trucks, is Cummins’ largest customer, followed by Dongfeng and India’s Tata Motors. Other customers include KRT, CSX Rail, Verizon, Alltel, Cingular, Microsoft, and AT&T.
• Cummins has 33,500 employees, including 15,000 in the U.S. Globally 12,500 Cummins workers are represented by unions in North America, South America, Asia and Europe. In 2006, company sales were $339,000 per employee.""
etc"

#14 ·
I think what confuses people are the joint ventures. If Isuzu was in a 50/50 joint venture with GM to build diesels then sure it's going to seem like the two companies merged but hardly the case, especially if you walked on the Isuzu factory floor.
I don't think in the history of Cummins has Ford held even a 10/90 with them.

#16 ·
Here is a quesiton I found on I believe Cummins Faq page before they took it down for maintenance.

Q: Doesn't Ford own Cummins? If the Cummins engine is so fantastic, why doesn't Ford use the Cummins engine?

Back in the early 90's, Ford bought less than 15% of outstanding Cummins stock. Many companies buy into other products to add diversity, corner a market, or form an alliance. In 1997, Cummins repurchased all stock previously owned by Ford, and no Ford management is now on the Cummins board of directors. Since 1998 in the pickup market,
Cummins B engines are exclusively contracted to Chrysler, an arrangement that both companies are eager to continue. Ford medium duty (class 6 and 7) and heavy duty (class 8) trucks are available with Cummins B engines. Hey, if it's good enough for a Ford 10 ton truck, I think the Cummins B is adequate for my Ram pickup! You can keep your Power Stroke.

#18 ·
Here is a quesiton I found on I believe Cummins Faq page before they took it down for maintenance.

Q: Doesn't Ford own Cummins? If the Cummins engine is so fantastic, why doesn't Ford use the Cummins engine?

Back in the early 90's, Ford bought less than 15% of outstanding Cummins stock. Many companies buy into other products to add diversity, corner a market, or form an alliance. In 1997, Cummins repurchased all stock previously owned by Ford, and no Ford management is now on the Cummins board of directors. Since 1998 in the pickup market,
Cummins B engines are exclusively contracted to Chrysler, an arrangement that both companies are eager to continue. Ford medium duty (class 6 and 7) and heavy duty (class 8) trucks are available with Cummins B engines. Hey, if it's good enough for a Ford 10 ton truck, I think the Cummins B is adequate for my Ram pickup! You can keep your Power Stroke.

#19 ·
Hey, if it's good enough for a Ford 10 ton truck, I think the Cummins B is adequate for my Ram pickup! You can keep your Power Stroke.
:thumbsup I totalllly agree

#21 ·
I will say that the 7.3L engine was one hell of an engine but the newer 6.0 and 6.4 aint worth the steel they put into them, and CAT doesn't produce enough engines to keep up with how many ford wants so that is why the YOTA's might put cat in, but CAT's are junk IMO we have some 3116 in the fleet where i work and they suck donkey nuts

#22 ·
Lots of people run around saying this, I just laugh. The Cummins engine is a medium duty diesel engine, where powerstroke and duramax are light duty diesel engines. This is why the cummins is in the F650s and whatnot.

Zach

#23 ·
hahaha, i have to laugh that this question shows up every once in awhile. but, yesterday i saw a cummins international service truck going down the road......and it was a powerclacker!! why would they do such a thing? lol

#24 · (Edited)
From my experience,you can not convince most Ford guys who believe this, that it is not true.....why they want to believe it,and why it's so important to them is beyond my understanding.....:thud:

I have printed material from the Cummins web site and shown it to fellas,and they still think that ford owns Cummins....:rof

#25 ·
From my experience,you con not convince most Ford guys who believe this, that it is not true.....why they want to believe it,and why it's so important to them is beyond my understanding.....:thud:

I have printed material from the Cummins web site and shown it to fellas,and they still think that ford owns Cummins....:rof
The reason they want to believe that ford owns cummins is that they have the false sense of hope that maybe someday they will get a cummins in a ford. KEEP DREAMING ford boys

#28 ·
This was a double post,with several replies to both posts,so I merged the two....didn't want to confuse everyone thats subscribed....:thumbsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.