Cummins Diesel Forum banner

2 piece driveshaft problems

828 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  billybadass 
#1 ·
I've got an 06 quad cab dually with a 2 piece drive shaft and the other day I ripped the entire carrier bearing off the frame-completely off! I had about an 8000 lb. trailer hooked to it and turned out in the highway and ripped the bearing out in 2nd gear. Anybody know a way to keep this from happening again? Could I possibly go to a 1 piece drive shaft, or reinforce the bearing?

#2 ·
idk man same thing happened to me yesterday i was driving down my road and when i het third gear i heard a loud bang and when i looked under the truck i saw the bearing laying on the ground i broke the welds i am fixing it now but ty wish i have a one piece shaft

#3 ·
i would check with skyjacker or pro comp, give them a call and ask because i couldnt find it online but i know they make carrier bearing spacers, they bolt between the carrier bering and crossmember, they help keep the driveshaft straight. I talked to someone one time and he said thats what happened to his truck and skyjacker made a pice to fix it. I know easttxrams truck isnt lifted but check your driveshaft and see if it looks straight. Even a little bend or tension pulling down on that driveshaft its only a matter of time till its laying on the ground. look into it guys i think that will solve your problems

#5 ·
its prolly true that truck is long as hell i just welded a think piece of angle iron on top of the mounting surface put a new bearing on and then used grade 8 bolts to hold it down so it tuff as nails but still nervous that it will happen again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.