Cummins Diesel Forum banner

It's smokestack time

3K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  5shifter 
#1 · (Edited)
All right guys (and gals too), next weekend I'm putting a single 5 inch miter cut in the truck. Now I am just needing input on the tonneau cover I have on it. What would be the best way to cut the hole in the tonneau, and still keep it sturdy for going down the road?and not melt it at the same time?

#2 ·
Ugh that's a tough one, I would also like to know!

#3 ·
I would say when you cut the hole, put a metal ring around the hole like the bed has for where the stack comes through it. This sill keep the tonneau cover from melting through contact. So I would say get a stainless steel clamp ring that is about 5 inches and have it clamp onto the tonneau around the stack similiar to how a beadlock works. I'm gonna see if I can find a picture of my idea or maybe someone else can elaborate it better if they understand.

Zach

#5 ·
Thanks guys for the help...and zbollman..I think you're onto something there. I'm thinking about buying some of those stainless steel door edge guards and kinda rolling it into a circle to put the edge around the hole. I'm only gonna need about 16.25 inches total to make the circle. I think this ought to work nicely. Thanks

#8 ·
Use a razor blade to cut the hole. Cut the hole 1'' smaller in diameter than the stack, this will make for a tight seal around the stack to keep water etc. out of the bed. The stacks will not melt the cover. :thumbsup

#16 ·
Well the hole has been cut..the stack mount is in..all looking good..but no stack yet. I worked 8 hours Saturday trying to get the old exhaust to break loose right after the cab, but couldn't get it to work out. About used a whole can of PB blaster on the dang thing too. I think the thing is rusted in there or something, or it might be too tight to get it out because the clamp compressed the flare too much. Anyone have any ideas how to get that exhaust out from the cab back without having to cut it up? Would heating it up with a torch help or would that just be a waste of gas?

#24 ·
Actually I used three 90's. One that went straight into the exhaust turned up to go past the frame, the second one was welded directly to the other one turned sideways to go over the frame, and the third I cut down about half way or so and welded it directly to the bottom of the plate in the picture, turned towards the other 90. Without the stack on, I was still able to slide this "half of a 90" through the hole and the plate went straight down to the bed. I did use 6 inches of flexpipe (just so things could shift if needed) between the "half a 90" on the bottom of the plate and the 90 over the frame rail

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.