Diesel Cars and Trucks are Here to Stay - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > General Forums > General Diesel Discussion
General Diesel Discussion Discuss General Topics related to the Cummins , Dodge Rams , Other Diesels Ect....NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Air Force Vet

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Diesel Cars and Trucks are Here to Stay

I just got the April 2013 issue of Diesel World Magazine. The main article is the buyers guide for 2013 diesel vehicles. Obviously the heavy duty trucks produced by Ram, GM, and Ford are being produced. What's interesting is how many other car companies are coming out with diesel vehicles to compete with VW which has seen a big increase in their diesel car sales.

The companies coming out with diesel cars for 2013 are Audi, BMW, Chevy Cruze, Ford transit van, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Mazda, Mercedes Benz, Sprinter Van, Porche, and of course Volkswagon.

Toyota and Nissan are greatly reducing their production of electric vehicles due to poor sales. Volkswagon can't keep enough diesel cars on the lot due to increased sales.

Diesel cars are very popular in Europe due to good fuel economy and longer engine life than a gasoline engine. It's about time for diesel cars to hit the US market.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read somewhere that the new diesel engines run cleaner than a gasoline engine. I personally own two diesels. My truck and a Mercedes GL320 CDI. Neither vehicle has any soot in the exhaust and there's no diesel smell like used to be produced in the older diesel engines.

As more diesel engines are produced, the clean burning diesel technology will do nothing but improve. I'm glad to see that diesel technology is here to stay.
2008 Mercedes Diesel GL 320 CDI (my wife's car)
Civil and Structural Engineer
Totally Stock and Love it!

GSM24 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,134 Times in 1,577 Posts
Quote:
I've read somewhere that the new diesel engines run cleaner than a gasoline engine
My understanding is the exhaust coming out of the new diesel engines is safer to breath than the air in most big US cities.
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to illflem For This Useful Post:
GSM24 (02-14-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: -1 reviews
Europe they are so popular becuase fuel has been well over $5 a gallon for more than 10 years. People can't afford to run gassers, so nobody buys them.

My wife is originally from Europe and when i talked to her father about my TDI jetta he said oh those are thirsty!!!.

When i was over there he had a 2006 peugot 607. Its a full size sedan about the size of an intrepid. V6 turbo diesel 6 speed manual. The thing on the highway consumes 4L per 100 km imagine. Also enough power to chirp 3rd gear. My 2001 TDI jetta averages in the summer about 5L per 100 on the highway just to give you an idea.

The technology has been here for years just the oil companies and governemnt probably have an agreement with the manufacture to not produce any vehicule too fuel efficient as the oil companies want $$ and the government wants the tax $$ of fit. The more they sell the richier they get.

Here where I live diesel is currently $5.52 for a U.S gallon or $1.46 per liter.

When the death trap smart was introduced in canada back around 04 or so it was a 3 cylinder diesel averaging close to 80mpg. Guess what ? no more diesel smarts available here. Only gas powered ones that get ~50mpg (same as a larger VW diesel)

Witht he soaring prices of fuel i'm sure the manufactures are backed against the wall now for the north american demand for fuel efficient cars.

i just hope the electric cars go wild in sales and hopefully gas prices will be forced to come down. I'm sure we will see $2 per liter or $7+ per gallon this summer in quebec.

Last edited by moparguy55; 02-14-2013 at 02:32 PM.
moparguy55 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I am very interested in mazdas 2.2L diesel. They will start with it in their flagship 6 sedan, but I am hoping it will end up in their cx5 our possibly the 3. As long as they keep that engine off at a stoplight crap away from the states for a little while longer
oaklandopen is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: -1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklandopen View Post
I am very interested in mazdas 2.2L diesel. They will start with it in their flagship 6 sedan, but I am hoping it will end up in their cx5 our possibly the 3. As long as they keep that engine off at a stoplight crap away from the states for a little while longer
What is the advertised mpg ?

being a 2.2L and fairly heavy can't see it being anymore economical than say the small gas turbo cruise.

My old 01 jetta is a 1.9lL and lighter than the mazda i'm sure and it averages in the summer around 43mpg mixed country 55mph roads and city.

My buddy bought a 6 speed 2012 jetta tdi 2L. Same l mileage as my old 2001.
moparguy55 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Been driving a 1998 MBZ E300 TD since new,now at 242,XXX and runs like a top. Good size car, very comfortable sedan and pretty fast for a I6 diesel, constant 32mpg for the lifetime of the car. New MBZ E class diesel rated about the same MPG, sure they are just cleaner. Many years ago I rented my same model in Europe with an I4, not sure of the exact size, got well into the 40's mpg. I would replace this car with another diesel and opt for a smaller motor for better mpg, when this one wears out. In 1998 Diesel fuel was the cheapest thing selling in my area.

One other note. I think we all can run cleaner with cleaner fuel. I remember years ago that European Diesel was much higher quality fuel.
2007.5 Ram 3500 SRW/QCLB Big Horn,Edge CTS Juice w/Attitude, S&B CAI,Pace Edwards bed cover w/Transferflow 37 gal. fuel tank and Ranchhand Legend bumper w/skidplate, BFG TA/KO 285/70/17, 3.73 gears and 68RFE Auto Trans. Bilstein 5100's
Livermorenick is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Air Force Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livermorenick View Post
Been driving a 1998 MBZ E300 TD since new,now at 242,XXX and runs like a top. Good size car, very comfortable sedan and pretty fast for a I6 diesel, constant 32mpg for the lifetime of the car. New MBZ E class diesel rated about the same MPG, sure they are just cleaner. Many years ago I rented my same model in Europe with an I4, not sure of the exact size, got well into the 40's mpg. I would replace this car with another diesel and opt for a smaller motor for better mpg, when this one wears out. In 1998 Diesel fuel was the cheapest thing selling in my area.

One other note. I think we all can run cleaner with cleaner fuel. I remember years ago that European Diesel was much higher quality fuel.
I own two diesels. I have my Cummins truck and a 2008 MBZ GL320 CDI. MBZ knows how to make a diesel. It's a 7-passenger SUV and I get 27 mpg hwy and 20 mpg city.

I've always been a big diesel fan. My first diesel was a 1980 VW Rabbit. I got rid of the car with over 500K miles. The rear window and fenders were rusted out but other than the water pump, clutch, and many glow plugs that was the most reliable car I've ever owned. I had it almost 15 years. I'm hoping to keep my truck and MBZ for the same length of time. That's why I own diesels because of the miles you can get out of the engines.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

GSM, sounds like you are impressed with the CDI in your GL. That is a bigger ride than I need these days for my commute although I would love to have an S class with a diesel but I am thinking something smaller for better MPG. It was hard to beat 32 mpg in 1998 for a midsize luxury sedan. Maybe MBZ will bring one of their smaller diesel engines to the U.S. for the E or C class cars. I think MBZ makes a nice diesel engine.

My truck gets less than 10k per year on it so I am thinking it will last a long time. It just gets weekend and vacation driving.
2007.5 Ram 3500 SRW/QCLB Big Horn,Edge CTS Juice w/Attitude, S&B CAI,Pace Edwards bed cover w/Transferflow 37 gal. fuel tank and Ranchhand Legend bumper w/skidplate, BFG TA/KO 285/70/17, 3.73 gears and 68RFE Auto Trans. Bilstein 5100's
Livermorenick is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Livermorenick For This Useful Post:
GSM24 (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparguy55 View Post
What is the advertised mpg ?

being a 2.2L and fairly heavy can't see it being anymore economical than say the small gas turbo cruise.

My old 01 jetta is a 1.9lL and lighter than the mazda i'm sure and it averages in the summer around 43mpg mixed country 55mph roads and city.

My buddy bought a 6 speed 2012 jetta tdi 2L. Same l mileage as my old 2001.
I think the models already in australia and japan are getting 40+ highway. Remember this is the heavier sedan, the 3 can get 40hwy in the 2.0L gasser

In addition to the gained mpg, there is no use of def, its an all aluminum motor, actually very low compression for a diesel, and unlike a very small gas engine or hybrid you get power (torque). I need torque since my cars are always full
oaklandopen is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Air Force Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livermorenick View Post
GSM, sounds like you are impressed with the CDI in your GL. That is a bigger ride than I need these days for my commute although I would love to have an S class with a diesel but I am thinking something smaller for better MPG. It was hard to beat 32 mpg in 1998 for a midsize luxury sedan. Maybe MBZ will bring one of their smaller diesel engines to the U.S. for the E or C class cars. I think MBZ makes a nice diesel engine.

My truck gets less than 10k per year on it so I am thinking it will last a long time. It just gets weekend and vacation driving.
My GL has been a workhorse since we got it. It is more car than we need but it's bought and paid for. It's done many trips between Salt Lake and San Diego. I have also used it to tow my 7,500 lbs trailer. I recommend a MBZ to anybody looking for a great diesel car.

I know Mercedes isn't going to put a diesel in the C class this year. However, with increasing diesel car sales, it's only a matter of time.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

there still those uninformed people that bash on the diesel, they say diesel has higher greenhouse gasses, which is mostly CO and CO2, which is true.
BUT what there usually don't say is those higher levels come from having less Hydrocarbons, or unburnt fuel. since diesels have such a high CR the fuel burns much more efficiently and much more completely, which contributes to the high mpgs...

"Since diesel contains about 14% more carbon dioxide per gallon, if the comparable gasoline engine is more than 14% less efficient than the diesel would be the worse polluter. Many diesels are more than 14% more efficient than a comparable gasoline engine, so they emit less carbon dioxide per mile traveled- Although some don't.

Read more: http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/latest/new-clean-diesel-cars#ixzz2M7Gji3o1"
LieutenantTroll is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.