What year is the best? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > General Forums > General Diesel Discussion
General Diesel Discussion Discuss General Topics related to the Cummins , Dodge Rams , Other Diesels Ect....NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2008, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
What year is the best?

Which year of these monsters is the best? I'm looking to get back into a diesel and would like to know from owners what they think about previous years.
newbuilder01 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2008, 12:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

I Love my 05 5.9
Old 02-24-2008, 12:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

any gen2 24 valver

Johnbutt:
jbarker is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2008, 12:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
It's got 12 Valves...

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Depends on what you are wanting to do? Daily driving, pulling, racing, etc..

94-98- 12V will get you big HP at a low cost for pulling/racing
98.5-02 -24V Replace the lift pump, take care of the VP-44 and you can do a lot from there
03 and up- Common Rail 24V- Kind of pricey to mod from what I have heard and can make some serious power..but still awesome trucks and this is what my next will be

Don't know a lot about the 1st and 3rd gens..but I love my 2nd gen 24V, great truck...just wish it was a 5sp.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

This is my first diesel. I have just over 100,000 miles on it and have replaced the front axle joints, right front hub bearing, rear u-joints, and water pump. My personal gripes - The dash cracked on the passenger side across the top, stock torque converter has too much slip, and occasionally the alarm doesn't disarm when I unlock the doors. If I were to go today to buy another new diesel, I would pick this one again. Raise the hood on a ford and ask yourself, do I want to work on that, or have to pay someone to work on that. It is a mechanical monstrosity on drugs. It took me longer to put water back in my truck than it did to change the water pump. Chevy and GMC are women trucks in my opinion, and still a bastard to work on. They brag about speed, so outrun me if you want, but when it is time to work, I'll leave the barn door open for them for when they get there. I am a firm believer in keeping it simple. Ford and Chevy seem to try and impress themselves with technology and show it off under their hoods. Some people like that, I just walk away. I think the '03 - '04 get the best fuel economy of the Dodges, and personally I think they are the best looking truck Dodge has made in years. The latest style was a step backwards to me.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
I wanna go fast...

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
I like the 24 valve 2nd gens but I have a liking for the 03-05 CR. IMO the trucks are not appealing withthe new front styles 06-up
Old 02-24-2008, 07:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

05 mine is a great truck! :thumbsup
05 white quad cab short bed g56 6 speed, 2nd gen manifold 62/71/13!!! 4" pipe, modified k&n intake and smarty beta!!! Airdog 150, SB 3600# DD!!! Dipricol pryo, boost, fuel, quad rp, leveled with AR dale jr black cannon wheel's an 33's...
05hummincummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

i have a 97 12v adn i love it. it's a pretty straight fowrard engine, everything is mechanical as apposed to electrical, so for a guy who knows next to nothing about working on engines, this one i can work on. would i buy it again? i'd buy a newer one, but still a cummins. maybe the new 6.7 litre.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Raptor, thank you for those true words..I am going to quote them and send them to a friend of mine who I work with that touts his GMC as being the be all end all in trucks...It gets very hard to listen to after a while...GD

2004 2500 4X4 No Mods yet as I am trying to figure whats best
Canadian_Diesel1964 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2008, 09:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Had an 05 with 92k and loved it great truck and then got the 07 5.9 and so far been just as good and I love the new seats they are almost impossible to stain, and the headlights are so much brighter and for mileage I can't complain I average 17 to 21 mpg just depends how fast you are driving and it only has 13k on it. But I really want to get 01 to02 H.O. 6spd for a play truck. either way you go you won't be disappointed. Just my .02.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Fill Diesel Only

If you want the best then 05,
The dash changed in 06 I think you can change the radio a bit easier in it if you want the type with the big screen. If your buying used then take your time and find a good clean one with as low as miles as you can get. there out there have fun and good luck shopping.
RRAMctd is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2008, 10:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

If you want more opinions, check out this thread: What year of truck do you own?
1984 Chevy K30, 4 door, 6" lift, 5.9 215 hp cummins. 4" strait piped, NV4500, NP205 with twin sticks, GV OD. 4.10 gears, leather seats, 12 autometer gauges, pw, keyless entry, walnut trim. '97 dodge 2500, 5spd, 4x4.
chevyk30 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.