Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Need General Help

681 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  HiTech 
#1 ·
Unfortunate, I have had absolutely no luck with this problem and I can't find a Ford equivalent forum to ask this question, I was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction or if you can simply help me with my problem.

I have a Ford 750 with a 5.9L Cummins engine I recently changed 3 Fuel Injectors and now the vehicle will not start - My shop would usually not work on a vehicle of this nature however we were trying to help out a regular client that was having an issue.

I have 0 literature and absolutely no way of solving this problem, there is fuel going to the injector but the injectors are not opening up.

Any help would be appreciated.

#3 ·
Well, I'm by no means an expert. I would have to believe that those injectors are actually not getting fuel. I've never heard of injectors not opening before (doesn't mean that's not what's happening, but just that I've not heard it before). My guess is that there's enough air in the lines that you're gonna have to bleed the air out.

I read about guys cracking open injector lines and turning the starter over all the time to bleed the air out. I've not read about where exactly they're cracking it open.

There's only 2 places that I'm aware of to do this, and only one place seems like it would work. That's opening the lines at the out (to the injectors) at the injector pump. However, that seems like it might introduce as much air as it would bleed off. I'm not sure, I've not had to do it. Do a search for this info.

The other place is on the collar nuts (whatever they're called) where the lines run through or under the valve cover. But this seems like it might make a mess under the valve cover and wind up with diesel fuel in the oil.

So, anyway. My guess is that you really do have air. Do a search on here for bleed, or bleeding, and maybe there will be some topics that can actually explain the process, because my gut tells me my ideas above, on how to bleed it, are wrong.

One last guess. Not sure what year your 5.9L is, but find the fuel filter cannister. Unscrew the top. The filter will pull out with the cap. Once you get the filter almost all the way out, tilt it to the side and you can hear (if it's quiet enough) the fuel pour out of it down into the cannister (unless the cannister is low or empty). This tilting is merely to keep you from pulling too much fuel out with the filter and making a big ole mess.

Anyway, if the cannister is empty, fill to about 1/2 or 3/4 of the way full. You may spill a bit out when pushing the filter back in the cannister (that's why you don't want to fill it totally up). Maybe you checked this already, sorry if I'm being redundant. Good luck with it.

- JyRO

#5 ·
Oh, OK. You've got an ISB-e in that thing. I'm old school (mechanical). I guess you've got an electrical problem. Can't help ya there.

#8 ·
Okay talked to my service guy.

You have to replace the fuel supply connectors when doing the injectors on the Common Rail. They have a tapered seat in them. If they are not replaced and the don't seat correctly the fuel will go directly back to the return side.

There is a whole torque procedure for installing them. They have to be fit loose then done by procedure. I'm sure the procedure has to be on one of the resource sites or on here somewhere.

If you can't find it let me know and I can email it to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.