FREE SPIN KITS "Dynatrac or EMS off road" HEAT.. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > General Forums > General Diesel Discussion
General Diesel Discussion Discuss General Topics related to the Cummins , Dodge Rams , Other Diesels Ect....NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2007, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
FREE SPIN KITS "Dynatrac or EMS off road" HEAT..

IF you have either of these, have you ever felt the hubs after a decent trip too see how warm they were? How much mpg did you gain if any? I didn't gain one bit and my hubs are almost to hott to hold your hand on them after a 150 mile trip. I set everything to spec, and feel but they felt like they had too much drag to me. So just wonderin' how everybody else's expierance has been.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2007, 03:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I'm just guessing but it sounds like you overdid it when you packed the grease. Which will cause it to churn around in there building up friction and resistance. I don't know about EMS but the Dynatrac instructions are pretty clear on the proper way to pack the bearings.

I picked up an easy 2 mpg with my freespins running Amsoil Series 2000 racing grease and couldn't be happier. Most people I've seen have picked up 1-2 mpg with freespins. They do get warm after even a short trip but they never get so hot that I can't hold my hand on them.

Freespin hub claims of better mpg are not phony like 99% of the stuff we buy out there on the diesel performance market making such false claims. There's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't see a minimum 1 mpg increase with your hubs. I think you're gonna need to pull your hubs off and do the grease over again and see what happens. The space between the two bearings needs grease in there to keep the bearings from slinging their packed grease out but you don't want so much grease gobbed up there in between them that its dragging on the spindle. That grease's only function is to keep it from flying out of the bearings not lubrication.

2007 Ram 2500, SLT Big Horn, Mineral Grey, 4WD, 5.9, BMK11 bypass, G56, 285/70/17, GV overdrive, D'Trac manual hubs, Smarty Jr, 6" Wwhistler, 4" turboback, LED's

2003 T600 Kenworth, C15 bridge, 13sp Eaton, 3:70Eaton rears, 22.5 lopros

Last edited by Dsljnki07ctd5.9; 09-03-2007 at 03:21 AM.
Dsljnki07ctd5.9 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2007, 09:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

When i do ball joints again i'm definately going with a set of free spin since you almost have to destroy the bearings to get to the ball joints if things seize up.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsljnki07ctd5.9 View Post
I'm just guessing but it sounds like you overdid it when you packed the grease. Which will cause it to churn around in there building up friction and resistance. I don't know about EMS but the Dynatrac instructions are pretty clear on the proper way to pack the bearings.

I picked up an easy 2 mpg with my freespins running Amsoil Series 2000 racing grease and couldn't be happier. Most people I've seen have picked up 1-2 mpg with freespins. They do get warm after even a short trip but they never get so hot that I can't hold my hand on them.

Freespin hub claims of better mpg are not phony like 99% of the stuff we buy out there on the diesel performance market making such false claims. There's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't see a minimum 1 mpg increase with your hubs. I think you're gonna need to pull your hubs off and do the grease over again and see what happens. The space between the two bearings needs grease in there to keep the bearings from slinging their packed grease out but you don't want so much grease gobbed up there in between them that its dragging on the spindle. That grease's only function is to keep it from flying out of the bearings not lubrication.
I used a wheel bearing greese from auto zone that I have used in the past. I was thinking I might have used to much greese also. But the EMS directions said the more the merrier. I 've done a lot of hubs like these in the past with the older style trucks and never had a problem, But maybe I need to take them back of and redo it. When I jack the front end of the truck up and spin the tires by hand I can get about 1.5 rotations out of the wheel, and that is spinning it with a decent amount of force. I am going on a 100 mile journey this morning and I am going to take my infared heat gun and I will tell you how warm they get. I did a trip around town yesterday and they were 95 degrees with an air temp of 75. Maybe I'll pick up some better greese also.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNRCUSTOMS View Post
I used a wheel bearing greese from auto zone that I have used in the past. I was thinking I might have used to much greese also. But the EMS directions said the more the merrier. I 've done a lot of hubs like these in the past with the older style trucks and never had a problem, But maybe I need to take them back of and redo it. When I jack the front end of the truck up and spin the tires by hand I can get about 1.5 rotations out of the wheel, and that is spinning it with a decent amount of force. I am going on a 100 mile journey this morning and I am going to take my infared heat gun and I will tell you how warm they get. I did a trip around town yesterday and they were 95 degrees with an air temp of 75. Maybe I'll pick up some better greese also.
When I jack the front end of the truck up and spin the tires by hand I can get about 1.5 rotations out of the wheel, and that is spinning it with a decent amount of force.

Ok I just went outside and jacked mine up to test and see so when I do the same thing using the valve stem as a reference and apply a good amount of force to the spin I'm getting 3.25 revolutions. I don't have a heat gun though so no help there. Dynatrac used to have their instructions online but for whatever reason they don't anymore and I can't find my original copy. But I do specifically remember the Timken section on packing the bearings and "not overdoing it otherwise you will create churning and friction".

Pack your bearings as normal make sure the grease is squeezed up in them thoroughly, but when they are sitting in their races the grease that goes between the two bearings is only to hold the bearing grease in you don't want "the more the merrier" in there or it will drag on the spindle, was the way I read the instructions. I just shot it down in between there the from my grease gun going in a circle until it was filled up enough to do what it had to do. When I put my hubs on, I pulled one off again to look and see, and no grease really got on the spindles.

Just try re-packing yours like that and see what happens. If I were you I'd just stay with the same auto zone grease unless you don't mind the extra work of throughly cleaning and removing all the old grease with some solvent. Different greases have different additives and not all are compatible to where they can be mixed willy nilly without knowing for sure what additives you've got etc, just stick with what has already worked fine for you in the past. I just put the amsoil in there because I've got their exotic stuff in everything else and I figured why not.

I hope it helps and good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roid View Post
When i do ball joints again i'm definately going with a set of free spin since you almost have to destroy the bearings to get to the ball joints if things seize up.
Dynatrac Ford/Dodge Free-Spin Photo Contest

Hey Roid check it out. So maybe you can win a free set of Dynatracs? I dunno have you got a good story to tell and some pics? :thumbsup

2007 Ram 2500, SLT Big Horn, Mineral Grey, 4WD, 5.9, BMK11 bypass, G56, 285/70/17, GV overdrive, D'Trac manual hubs, Smarty Jr, 6" Wwhistler, 4" turboback, LED's

Old 09-03-2007, 04:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I just got back and my drivers side hub was 110 degrees and the passenger was 115 to 118, almost to hot to touch. I am going to call Ems off road in the morning and see what they have to say. 3.25 revoulotions is more than double of what mine is. BUt I will let you know. thanks for your help
Old 09-03-2007, 05:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

That's waaay too hot. I just got back from a little 45 mile run cruising about 85 mph most of the way. Just to see I wrapped my hands around the hubs and they were warm to the feel but no where near hot enough to burn me.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

115 to 118 almost too hot to touch??? Hell, the boys in Iraq are fightin in 120 degree temps as we speak. Sorry, somethin just dosnt sound right...... OK, I'll shut up.

okie

Last edited by okiefired; 09-03-2007 at 11:19 PM.
okiefired is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2007, 07:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I mean if you hold your hand on there for more than 5 seconds it is pretty darn hot on the hand. Call me a wuss but it is hott.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sounds like you have the bearings too tight IMHO...that would cause your excessive heat AND limit your mileage gains.

I almost filled my hubs with grease (as in a tube of grease per side), and have no issues...they run cool when it is around 60*F and run warm, but still touchable, in 100*F plus temps after driving hundreds of miles...I have over 50k on them to date without a single issue.

I'd pull the spindles nuts loose and retorque...IIRC, its tighten to 50 ft-lbs, loosen, then snug to 15 ft-lbs, and install the jam nut.

And remember, grease is good to well over 200*F...would you be able to touch a pan with boiling water??

steved

Last edited by Guest; 09-04-2007 at 01:09 PM.
  Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2007, 01:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roid View Post

If you need a hand with the install or teardown, give me a yell.

steved
  Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2007, 01:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

DNRCUSTOMS,
I agree with the tight bearing theory. I have never heard of too much grease causing excess friction and heat to that extreme but stranger things have happened.
I will be interested to find out what is going on with your hubs too as I am on the waiting list at EMS for the 35 spline hub kit. Good luck figuring it out.
Bob
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.