Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine Swap on Durango - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > General Forums > General Diesel Discussion
General Diesel Discussion Discuss General Topics related to the Cummins , Dodge Rams , Other Diesels Ect....NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine Swap on Durango

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I've been contemplating fully swapping out my 4.7L gasoline guzzling Magnum engine for a turbo diesel Cummins which will not only provide more HP but WAY better MPGs and longevity.

I'm tired of the brainwashing that oil companies have been doing to me and others and I'd love to be able to swap out my Magnum engine for a diesel instead.

The main concerns are the creature comforts such as A/C, power steering, etc. I understand that all that comes on stock vehicles that already have a Cummins engine inside, but my worry is transferring it over to my 2006 Durango.

Please don't flame me as I'm completely a newbie when it comes to diesel engines and swapping one out over a gasoline powered engine.
Xyberz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

sounds like a cool swap. but i dont think it will fit.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Oh wow, that would be awesome w/a QSB4.5! Or just an older{and cheaper} 3.9 4BT. Wow, you got me to day dreaming now. I do think the 6 would be too long though and the lil 4 would power that thing great. I know a guy who has a late 80's K5 Blazer 4x4 w/36's and gets aver 20mpg w/a 4BT.

Your Durango's a/c compressor might work w/the Cummins, depends on what you could come up for bracketry and the p/s pump would probably be different as you have the option to run a gear driven one from the backside of the front cover or maybe you could even use your Durangos and again that would be about the bracketry you can come up with, or build.

Good luck with that one, That would be pretty cool but be prepared to go without that vehicle for a while, I imagina it would take a while. And also I dont know nothin about your crossmember modifications if any that would be required of tranny adaptors, etc.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

A 4bt will fit in a dakota so it would fit in a durango. There is a guy with a 4b dak with a solid axle swap think he is running an auto behind it.
TST #10, ATS exhaust man, 5" turbo back exhaust twin 5" stacks, SB 13.5 clutch, BHAF, DDP 75 hp injectors, 3000gsk, timing set at 16
Bluedually4x4 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 05:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

there is a durango out there with a 6b. its on you tube i believe.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I know there's a guy up around my area with one....lifted with some combine tires on it I believe....I talked to him at MPM's shop one day and it came up and I know he said the only way to do it was to cut and modify the firewall
Old 05-18-2010, 08:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

VERY VERY NICE!!!

Now we gotta see that puppy in my 2nd Gen!

The guy even posted that he had to do a little cutting into the dash but not much! Ohhhhh yeah baby!

Wondering a couple of things.

1. Can I keep my current 4x4 setup or do I have to switch to the 2wd?
2. How to get the exhaust system to sound like a gasoline powered rather than the typical diesel sound? I'd love to fake people out left and right having easily a 400-500+HP twin turbo Cummins engine and have it sound like a 5.7L Hemi, then rev me out only to have me leave most people in the dust once my foot pounds to the ground!!!

Man, just saw a 3.0L CRD diesel engine that could work without cutting into the vehicle since it fits nicely into a 2007 or so Jeep Grand Cherokee!

Last edited by Xyberz; 05-18-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

His was 4x4....no reason yours couldn't be And I'm pretty sure there's no way around that cummins purr
Old 05-19-2010, 04:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_houchins8_182 View Post
His was 4x4....no reason yours couldn't be And I'm pretty sure there's no way around that cummins purr
I contacted a guy, he said he wouldn't be interested in making an adapter plate to the stock Durango tranny. Would the Ram tranny even fit without some serious modifications?

I wonder why he said no and that I'd be better off sticking with the tranny that comes with the Cummins?
Old 05-19-2010, 03:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

If I was you (which I know I'm not), I'd stick with the 4bt swap. There are a couple websites with much info on these from transmissions that work, to how someone made the stock vehicle accesories work with the swap.

Now, keep in mind that your durango is less than a half ton and therefore the torque of a diesel is going to be really hard on the driveline without some upgrades. Also, the front will need some better suspension even with the 4bt I believe due to the motor being heavier.

Your stock transmission won't hold up. I'd check and see what others are using. If you don't have super deep pockets for the fab work on the chassis, I'd just do the 4bt. Still a great motor and makes great power and possibly better mpg. I just don't like the whole cutting up the firewall thing. Plus, if they have to do that, you can kiss the a/c goodbye more than likely.

1996 White 3500 CC 4X4 auto 4.10's - Project Brute Force.... Always Broke
dieseltech8100 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2010, 06:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseltech8100 View Post
If I was you (which I know I'm not), I'd stick with the 4bt swap. There are a couple websites with much info on these from transmissions that work, to how someone made the stock vehicle accesories work with the swap.

Now, keep in mind that your durango is less than a half ton and therefore the torque of a diesel is going to be really hard on the driveline without some upgrades. Also, the front will need some better suspension even with the 4bt I believe due to the motor being heavier.

Your stock transmission won't hold up. I'd check and see what others are using. If you don't have super deep pockets for the fab work on the chassis, I'd just do the 4bt. Still a great motor and makes great power and possibly better mpg. I just don't like the whole cutting up the firewall thing. Plus, if they have to do that, you can kiss the a/c goodbye more than likely.
Very good information! Since this is our family vehicle, I definitely don't want to lose A/C. Especially here in Hawaii! I'll check with the 4BT guys and see what they have done.

My main concern was just going with a diesel motor so I can use homebrew biodiesel. Having twin turbo would be nice too
Old 05-20-2010, 07:21 AM   #12 (permalink)

Just curious, does anyone know how Mercedes got the 3.0L CRD Diesel engine to be so quiet? It's clear it's possible.

I wouldn't mind using the CRD but the only thing is that I've heard that because of the type of engine it is, it probably won't like using WVO. I've read some using 50/50 blend of biodiesel without any problems on their CRD Jeep Cherokee.

I guess my ulitmate goal is to be free from the gas industry and killing the planet any faster than it already is being choked to death.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.