Fuel Filter Change 2006 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > General Forums > General Diesel Discussion
General Diesel Discussion Discuss General Topics related to the Cummins , Dodge Rams , Other Diesels Ect....NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2007, 10:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Filter Change 2006

Saw a post about changing fuel filters with every oil change. I have almost 14,000 on my truck and have not changed the fuel filter yet. How hard are these to change and where is it located on my truck?
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2007, 10:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

they're too easy to change it's located on the drivers side up near the firewall you unscrew the top with I believe it's a 3/8 rachet and extention pull the old one out...there is a drain valve on the bottom you drain the bowl into a bottle toss the new filter in put the lid back on get in the truck and turn on the key let it sit there until you hear the lift pump kick off then start it and go on about your buisiness.
06 Cummins QCSB 4x4 Auto. Billet suncoast. PDI T4 Second Gen Mani. BD intercooler, intake mani and boots. II 85% over pump, II 120's. Hamilton 181/210, springs, and pushrods. HTT 64/71/13SS. Snow Stage 2. Lazarsmith Bars and gauge pods. T&C PRV. Smarty & MP8.
Thanks to Diesel Performance Outfitters of Texas
706/1401 on 2/1/11 12.2 @ 110
cumminstexas is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2007, 10:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

dont touch the valve, just unscrew the black cap, pull the old filter off and install new filter and gasket. takes about 3 minutes to do. you may need a big socket/wrench to get the cap off. try to change the filter every other oil change.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
ben
Diesel Head

To add....

If its like the 2nd gen, it's a 1 1/8th nut on top of the filter housing. Unscrew that. The filter is attached to the housing via some tabs. Unsnap the old filter and put the new one on.

There is an o-ring that you will see on the housing lid that the filter attatches to. Take that off. A new should be supplied with the filter. I dip the ring in the fuel in the canister and rub it around to make sure its coated. put the ring on in the groove in the filter lid.

Now its time to reinstall.

I usually just put the filter in half way and let it set for a second to soak some fuel in. Push the lid/filter down til it stops. I thread it on by hand to make sure nothing cross threads, then tighten down with the ratchet.

Now with my 2nd gen I have to bump the starter to get the lift pump to activate. Wait until you hear it stop. Then start.

Now I have an ocassional habit of forgetting to bump the starter and just start it. It will run then die. With no restart. Nice little air lock.

My method (best with 2 people) is loosen the filter lid and bump the starter. You now find yourself with a nice fountain of fuel coming from the lid. Tighten down then start. Messy but quick and effective.

Good luck. You'll be fine.

Once you dig into it, it's pretty easy to figure out.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

This doesn't sound right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge325 View Post
dont touch the valve, just unscrew the black cap, pull the old filter off and install new filter and gasket. takes about 3 minutes to do. you may need a big socket/wrench to get the cap off. try to change the filter every other oil change.
Won't this put unfiltered fuel on the wrong side of the filter? Shouldn't you ALWAYS drain the filter canister and then fill the canister back up by going through the filter?
Old 07-26-2007, 11:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBFishing View Post
Won't this put unfiltered fuel on the wrong side of the filter? Shouldn't you ALWAYS drain the filter canister and then fill the canister back up by going through the filter?
Hadn't thought about that. How do you drain the canister?
Old 07-27-2007, 12:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I too drain the canister before the change. If you are using Biodiesel, You should probably change the filter every oil change. The bio in the bio diesel has a habit breaking loose a lot of sludge in the delivery process, from refinery to your injectors...

Drain the canister by moving the yellow valve on the bottom of the canister. If you cant find the valve, look for the tube sticking down on the driver side of the truck and follow it up !!
2004.5 CTD 3500 4X4 Quad Cab, 48RE, Edge Juice, AirDog 150, ISSPRO A-piller Gauges (Trans/Pyro/Boost) Line-X, 33.5 Toyo Open Country on 20's, 2" Level Kit, Steering Stabilizer, Mag-Hytec Tranny Pan, Volant Cold Air Intake, 4" Trbo Back exhaust, ARE Truck Canopy with Full Back Door (No tailgate) and matched colored Bed Rug. Silencer ring MIA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Powerwagon_69 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.