make it smoke - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > General Forums > General Diesel Discussion
General Diesel Discussion Discuss General Topics related to the Cummins , Dodge Rams , Other Diesels Ect....NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2007, 05:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
make it smoke

hey guys im the proud new owner of an 01 ctd with 70,000 on the clock its got a straight pipe and it puts out 0% smoke and i was wondering whats the cheapest and easiest way to make it put out some smoke?
black01qcsb is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2007, 06:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I'd start with some gauges to monitor everything and a box/programmer. Smarty will smoke real good. If you want a box/gauge combo go for the Edge Juice with Attitude.

Cumnspwr
Old 07-22-2007, 06:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

well i wasnt really lookin to buy something that cost $800 im talking CHEAP and easy
Old 07-22-2007, 07:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dad
Diesel Head

The '01 is an electronically controlled engine. Fuel makes the engine smoke, fuel is controlled by th electronics, electronics are changed with the programmers.

You can watch the classifieds here and watch e-bay, you can pick up a programmer for $300 if you want a used one.
- Mine: '09 GMC Sierra LTX ECSB 2WD - Deletes, 4" Exhaust, AEM CAI, DP LMM 2.6 Stg 1.5 Drag Turbo, BD Manifold, Diamond Eye Downpipe, All Season Diesel Performance EGR/Grid Heater delete, PPE Race Valve, Edge Insight, '08 Hummer Wheels, DSP5 - EFI Live tuning by Mark Broviak @ Danville Performance.
Dad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2007, 08:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Hi & welcome,
I'm pretty much of a newbee here myself. You'll see from my "signature" that I own an 01 also. You'll want to write up a description of your ride and put it in the signature space, it's very helpful for others to give you advise.

I bought my truck new but have not done anything to it... I'm having mpg problems now... coming here has been a tremendous learning experience.

Trucks like ours are prone to lift (fuel) pump failures... which failure often also wipes out the even more expensive injector pump (called a VP44). If you don't have one, a fuel pressure gauge is a MUST HAVE. Dodge's answer is a fuel pump in the tank, but most who know want a pump somewhere they can get to it. You'll see many pumps & kits to relocate an improved fuel pump to the frame where is is serviceable.

It's fine to want power and the TCD will sure make it... but the stock tranny & clutch (or auto like mine) will not hold that kind of increase. You really need more than factory guages to know what the CTD is doing under the hood. Besides the guages look cool.

I understand your need for a budget... I'm in the same boat... but if you're gonna love the Dodge / CTD as we do, you've got to get your priorities straight.

Again, welcome,
Russ

Last edited by flagmanruss; 07-22-2007 at 10:56 AM.
flagmanruss is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2007, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagmanruss View Post
Hi & welcome,
I'm pretty much of a newbee here myself. You'll see from my "signature" that I own an 01 also. You'll want to write up a description of your ride and put it in the signature space, it's very helpful for others to give you advise.

I bought my truck new but have not done anything to it... I'm having mpg problems now... coming here has been a tremendous learning experience.

Trucks like ours are prone to lift (fuel) pump failures... which failure often also wipes out the even more expensive injector pump (called a VP44). If you don't have one, a fuel pressure gauge is a MUST HAVE. Dodge's answer is a fuel pump in the tank, but most who know want a pump somewhere they can get to it. You'll see many pumps & kits to relocate an improved fuel pump to the frame where is is serviceable.

It's fine to want power and the TCD will sure make it... but the stock tranny & clutch (or auto like mine) will not hold that kind of increase. You really need more than factory guages to know what the CTD is doing under the hood. Besides the guages look cool.

I understand you need for a budget... I'm in the same boat... but if you're gonna love the Dodghe / CTD as we do, you've got to get your priorities straight.

Again, welcome,
Russ
That was a nice write up! :thumbsup

BigD
2007 Ram2500 Laramie Mega Cab 6.7 auto 4X4. N-Fab nerf bars, pre-runner, rear runner 2" level kit, 20's XD795 Hoss - Black. BFG's 305/55/20 Hella 4000 lights. Smoked cab lenses. I'm done with the outside!
BigD is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2007, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

why do all you people want your trucks to smoke so bad? That's not a good thing, that's a waste of money, it's just raw fuel that's not getting burned. that means you don't have enough air to keep up with your fuel. If you want a cheap way to make your truck smoke, just block off the air intake and it will smoke like crazy.
DieselSharker (03-31-2010), havoc (01-03-2014)
Old 07-22-2007, 10:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Frankly, I don't understand the desire for smoke either. But then again, I'm old.
'97 3500. 4X4 3:55s, built auto, vb and triple disc tc w/lockup. Boost, trans, pyro and F/P. Silicone hoses and boots. Icebox intake, 4" Diamondeye. 10 plate, 330s, 60# springs, 4GSK, Pacbrake. Mag trans and diff covers. Firestone Bags and 51 Gal. transfer tank.
Motorboat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2007, 11:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Junkie

iTrader Score: 10 reviews
Not all of us people want our trucks to smoke. It is just personal preference. Some people just might like the way it looks when you roll the coal. So to each his own.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

it makes them feel like a bad.....when I get one I want mine to smoke too soo I can feel the same way..LOL

Last edited by 1-TON; 07-22-2007 at 10:17 PM.
Halter is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2007, 03:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

personally I like to blow smoke in the open windows of ricers and stupid people other than that I feather the throttle and rarely blow smoke
06 Cummins QCSB 4x4 Auto. Billet suncoast. PDI T4 Second Gen Mani. BD intercooler, intake mani and boots. II 85% over pump, II 120's. Hamilton 181/210, springs, and pushrods. HTT 64/71/13SS. Snow Stage 2. Lazarsmith Bars and gauge pods. T&C PRV. Smarty & MP8.
Thanks to Diesel Performance Outfitters of Texas
706/1401 on 2/1/11 12.2 @ 110
cumminstexas is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to cumminstexas For This Useful Post:
Vogman24v (02-05-2014)
Old 07-22-2007, 03:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

i like the looks of the black smoke myself and if mine did smoke i would smoke out dumb ricers and kids who thought theyre cars were fast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.