DT 530 International, - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > General Forums > General Diesel Discussion
General Diesel Discussion Discuss General Topics related to the Cummins , Dodge Rams , Other Diesels Ect....NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 08:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
DT 530 International,

I have a 98 International 8100, with a 300 hp dt 530 engine. the problem were having is the thing will only run smoothly if the mps sensor is unplugged and running on the default. we've replaced this sensor twice but if we try to plug it in the truch stumbles and misses, wont build proper boost. so far in our effort to get this thing running right we have replaced the head gasket ( was weeping oil) injector tubes, high pressure oil pump, mass pressure regulator, boost sensor, cleaned all terminals and connections. On the computer the truck is not showing any codes, but when the mps is plugged in it only makes 560 ish' psi but is only asking for that in the desired. when unplugged it will make closer to 750. on the road it will make upwards of 3000 psi at full throttle under load even though it's running like crap. We tried to run a TS performance inline chip but it makes the problem worse, basicall because it skews the readings from the mps, the fule pressure is 60 psi at idle, 50 psi at full throttle under load with no fluctuation.

So I'm wondering if any body has ever come across this, My mechanic is at a loss, International wants to do the things we already did, and I'm about to burn the dam thing.
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2010, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

what are you calling the mps? manifold pressure sensor? check the continuity from the sensor to the ecm. if you didnt disconnect the batteries there is a chance you blew the ecm. take it to the dealer and tell the you want the to try a test ecm.they should have one aand charge you the minimum. where are you located? you might be able to find a detroit dealer with off road experience that has the soft ware to help diagnose.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

did you try a cam sensor, very common problem and hardly ever throw a code. could be an ICP sensor (injection control pressure) and are you calling the IPR (injector pressure regulator) the mass pressure regulator? The MAP sensor (manifold air pressure) is on top of the valve cover, there is no boost sensor on a DT, we use the MAP sensor for this. How is the wiring conector on the IPR valve which is on the high pressure pump? Tell me the area that you are unpluging the map at, if its on the side by the fuel filter and on the high pressure rail that is the ICP
Old 04-20-2010, 01:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by macko300exc View Post
did you try a cam sensor, very common problem and hardly ever throw a code. could be an ICP sensor (injection control pressure) and are you calling the IPR (injector pressure regulator) the mass pressure regulator? The MAP sensor (manifold air pressure) is on top of the valve cover, there is no boost sensor on a DT, we use the MAP sensor for this. How is the wiring conector on the IPR valve which is on the high pressure pump? Tell me the area that you are unpluging the map at, if its on the side by the fuel filter and on the high pressure rail that is the ICP
Sorry yes, it's the ICP, just got it out of the shop again today, they did continuity tests on all connections and changed out 20 corroded pins, changed the 'map' sensor, cam sensor, water level sensor but still no go, some of the gremlins are gone but it still cant get it to run with the ICP plugged in, not properly anyway. last word is that it's the injectors, so have six on order. thing runs smooth unplugged but no power, when it's plugged in it's peppier down low but when it needs to pull it just sputters, and when I plug the chip in it gets even worse. I suggested we try the ecm but was told that if the ECM was bad it would be flashing codes, so... 2400.00 on injectors it is I guess.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezall View Post
what are you calling the mps? manifold pressure sensor? check the continuity from the sensor to the ecm. if you didnt disconnect the batteries there is a chance you blew the ecm. take it to the dealer and tell the you want the to try a test ecm.they should have one aand charge you the minimum. where are you located? you might be able to find a detroit dealer with off road experience that has the soft ware to help diagnose.
Not that it matters but as far as I understand it has no relation to a detroit engine, DT is supposed to stand for 'diesel turbo' but we did the continuity tests and found some bad pins, injectors on order, then try ecm, then bic lighter.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

how do the injectors sound when you perform a buzz test? are they a real nice crisp "CLICK" or are they real faint? How is your oil? could be a high pressure pump if the oils real bad or thined out from coolant if it had a liner kit install recently. You said you removed the head and replaced head gasket, not very common at all. Did you make sure when you put the rocker rail on and tighten those head bolts that all the push tubes lined up properly? valves adjusted? Injector Harness under the valve cover, did you knock it off while putting on valve cover? give me the last 8 digets of your vin in a pm and i will try and send you some info on your truck. i pm'd you my email. What happens when you unplug the ICP sensor is that the ECM goes into a limp/ default setting, meaning that it runs the IPR (controls the high pressure oil out of high pressure pump) on a set of predetermines values, but it will lack power. Also, what color is your fuel? if its black that indicates bad injector o-rings and they will need to be replaced.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
how do the injectors sound when you perform a buzz test? are they a real nice crisp "CLICK" or are they real faint? How is your oil? could be a high pressure pump if the oils real bad or thined out from coolant if it had a liner kit install recently. You said you removed the head and replaced head gasket, not very common at all. Did you make sure when you put the rocker rail on and tighten those head bolts that all the push tubes lined up properly? valves adjusted? Injector Harness under the valve cover, did you knock it off while putting on valve cover? give me the last 8 digets of your vin in a pm and i will try and send you some info on your truck. i pm'd you my email. What happens when you unplug the ICP sensor is that the ECM goes into a limp/ default setting, meaning that it runs the IPR (controls the high pressure oil out of high pressure pump) on a set of predetermines values, but it will lack power. Also, what color is your fuel? if its black that indicates bad injector o-rings and they will need to be replaced.
Most of the work was done between two shops so I can't give you intimate details but the head was off twice, the head gasket was weeping oil, apparently the high pressure oil uses the head gasket and I was told it could turn into a problem. so anyhow, had the head gasket changed, at the same time we changed the ICP because another shop had unplugged it when I first bought the truck, because the truck was very gutless. After the head was put on the first time I made it a mile from the shop that did the work and the truck quit and wouldn't start, my mechanic decided that it was the high pressure oil pump because the next morning when the truck was cold it started and ran until it got warm. then I did one haul and the injector cups started leaking so back off with the head and off to the engine rebuilders to have it checked and new stainless cups pressed in. back to the first time the head was off, after the new high pressure pump was installed the truck would run but hesitate when it had to pull, that's when I pulled the ICP the second time and the truck smoothed out. As far as nuts and bolts I'm sure both shops put things together properly but they just don't know their way around this engine problem. As for the buzz test, I was there when he did that, I have nothing to compare it to but all six had the same buzz and click, but he did run a performance test ( not sure exactly how he did this ) but he told me that all cylenders were just over 50% with number 4 being 65% contribution. That's what makes him think it's injectors. What's got me stumped is he says that it should have around 750 psi oil at Idle, but it's only got about 550, but the desired is also 550 ish, but when we unplug the ICP we get into the 700 range. On one road test we installed a mechanical guage and monitored the fuel pressure, was 50 psi at full pull, 60 psi at idle, and oil pressure was in the 3000 psi range. something that is fairly new is the truck really runs rough when it first starts, until it warms up a bit, one thing about this truck is it would always start nice, minus 15'C and it would fire right up like a gas engine and idle smooth.

I will send you a quick e mail, thanks for your help.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
tried to e mail you but said it wasn't a valid addy. Also the fuel is green and clear.

Last edited by Thissideup; 04-20-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Thissideup is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

tried your email, but says it's not a valid addy
Old 04-21-2010, 01:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

ok. the high pressure oil does NOT use the cylinder head gasket at all. if you look at the high pressure pump, there is a braided stainless steel hose that goes to a rail. this rail is call the high pressure manifold. the hig pressure manifold mounts to the side of the head and contains the ICP sensor and the fuel inlet. the cylinder contribution test is a graph that shows engine load to fuel rate to rpm. what it basicly does is say your testing #3 injector, it raises rpm to round 1200, and intermitently cuts #3 and adds fuel and timing to remaing 5 injectors to maintain specified rpm. after doing this to all the injectors it determines how well the injectors are performing, the down fall to this is; it requires that mechanicly the engine be sound for accurate readings. how is the oil? regular oil changes are very very important on a HEUI engine. you never said anything about your boost, do you have boost? is wastegate seized open?
Old 04-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
ok. the high pressure oil does NOT use the cylinder head gasket at all. if you look at the high pressure pump, there is a braided stainless steel hose that goes to a rail. this rail is call the high pressure manifold. the hig pressure manifold mounts to the side of the head and contains the ICP sensor and the fuel inlet. the cylinder contribution test is a graph that shows engine load to fuel rate to rpm. what it basicly does is say your testing #3 injector, it raises rpm to round 1200, and intermitently cuts #3 and adds fuel and timing to remaing 5 injectors to maintain specified rpm. after doing this to all the injectors it determines how well the injectors are performing, the down fall to this is; it requires that mechanicly the engine be sound for accurate readings. how is the oil? regular oil changes are very very important on a HEUI engine. you never said anything about your boost, do you have boost? is wastegate seized open?
boost is around 18 psi, oil is good,
Old 04-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

sent you an email of a permormance diagnostic sheet and icp sensor diagnostics. on th eperformance sheet use the right hand side, the left hand side is hard start/ no start
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.