Walmart selling MOpar oil filters? - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > General Forums > General Diesel Discussion
General Diesel Discussion Discuss General Topics related to the Cummins , Dodge Rams , Other Diesels Ect....NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 02:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
ok dont get all pissed off because i said in my opinion i would buy stuff from walmart for my truck.....IN MY OPINION!
02 QCSB 6 Speed|215 P-Pump 600cc 28*|64/S480|SAC 7x12|131 DVs|AD150|Colt 181|HD Push Rods & Springs|ARP/O-Ringed Head|Fluidampr|Valair Tripple Disk|.084 Lines/Tubes|Tunnel Ram|CFM+|Water/Meth|6"Miter|Dana60/80|4.88|True Trac|35" Toyo MT's|
Smourj21 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
lol why in the he!! would they call say Exxon. hey will you put 25% water in there or will you take some 5W 10 and mix it up. just for walmart? we wanna keep the cost down.

Come on H&S my 13s killing itself
blacksmoke101 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smourj21 View Post
Look at the rest of their products, everything is VERY cheap plastic or material. everything they sell at walmart is a watered down or "cheap" version of the real thing. Im sorry but i would rather put a 10$ Wix filter (which i run) than any oil filter from walmart. i mean look at the fram filters cut them in half once tell me you would put it on your truck! Dont think so pal! Im just saying in my opinion i wouldnt run anything on my truck that has to protect the motor that came from walmart....Haywood U must have a soft spot for walmart

Far from it.

I understand the public backlash at Walmart over their business practices, treatment of employees, etc.

You said there was a reason they could sell things "much cheaper." I was just asking for those reasons.

I can attest firsthand about the cheapness of some of the products sold by Walmart......and I've learned my lessons on those.

Trust me, there's a reason that my Walmart purchases are limited to TP, paper towels, laundry detergent, and other "household" items.....and then only if they are signficantly cheaper (ex: tp is $5 at WM and $8 at the grocery store; paper towels are $8-9 at WM vs $10-12 elsewhere).

I'm just curious as to how many of the "name brand" items sold by Walmart are different than the same items being sold at other retail stores.

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about the special "made for Walmart" (or Best Buy, or any other large retailer) products (specifically electronics that may have product numbers that end in W, WM, BB, or some other designation that indicates you will never find the "exact" model at another store).

I'm wondering how the bottle of Exxon/Mobil oil sold in Walmart is different than Pep Boys. How is the Fram oil filter different? How is the box of Triscuit from Walmart different than the box in my local supermarket (assuming same size), or how the 12 pack of Pepsi is different.

However, I did use Supertech oil and filters (most of the time) in my first car, and that lasted me 13 years and 120k+ miles without any issues. In fact, the person that bought it last year is still driving it.

Is the 1 gallon bottle of Rotella at Walmart different than from Autozone, Pep Boys, etc?

I'm curious because that's where I buy my Rotella.

I'm not aware that the Walmarts in my area even carry filters for my truck (they didn't when I checked last year), so I don't even think about looking there.

Plus, people on this site were fairly specific about using only certain filters. Pretty sure I ended up going with a K&N (around $20 IIRC), which I've never seen at Walmart.

But, are you suggesting that I purchase a Fram filter from Walmart and another store and cut them open, the Walmart filter will be different?
Old 01-27-2010, 03:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

i use the mo-285 mopar from walmart like 10.47$ its the real deal
Old 01-27-2010, 04:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02isb View Post
i use the mo-285 mopar from walmart like 10.47$ its the real deal
i know it is, i'm sure its just as good or better than any other on the market, i also understand some people not liking walmart, I shop htere just like evreyone else does, even the guys who say they dont
Old 01-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
You're wrong! Get over it

Thanked 2,573 Times in 1,397 Posts
For all you down on Walmart...
Do you realize they employee over 2 Million Employees. Whatever the wages are. At least that's 2M people I'm NOT feeding with my Tax Dollar Welfare money.
They provide more jobs than have been lost due to the present Administration.

Back to oil filters.
I've only seen the small Car Mopar oil filter at any Walmarts in the Southwest. That's Arizona, Nevada & Kalifornia.
2008 QC-LB,2500,4X4,White/Kaki,Big-Horn,3.73 Auto, MyGig Nav unit, K&N no baffle,DPF quit working, GHD, Shibby stage 1 intake & boost tube, Smarty, PMT for gauges, Mag-Hytec Pan & Diff covers.Dad2bike-installs-some-shibby-goodies..... DIY Deletes How-To
SNAFU
dad2bike is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

59th Ave And Bell Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
For all you down on Walmart...
Do you realize they employee over 2 Million Employees. Whatever the wages are. At least that's 2M people I'm NOT feeding with my Tax Dollar Welfare money.
They provide more jobs than have been lost due to the present Administration.

Back to oil filters.
I've only seen the small Car Mopar oil filter at any Walmarts in the Southwest. That's Arizona, Nevada & Kalifornia.
10.47 THEY GOT A BUNCH
Old 01-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
You're wrong! Get over it

Thanked 2,573 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reax22 View Post
10.47 THEY GOT A BUNCH
Which Mopar Number? Only ones I find are about 3 inches tall.
2008 QC-LB,2500,4X4,White/Kaki,Big-Horn,3.73 Auto, MyGig Nav unit, K&N no baffle,DPF quit working, GHD, Shibby stage 1 intake & boost tube, Smarty, PMT for gauges, Mag-Hytec Pan & Diff covers.Dad2bike-installs-some-shibby-goodies..... DIY Deletes How-To
SNAFU
dad2bike is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
Some-Sho Some-Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood_U View Post
What's that reason?

The fact that it is the world's #1 retailer, with more than 7,870 stores?

Maybe they have more purchasing power than others?

Maybe they got a good deal buying "Mopar" parts direct from the bankrupt "Mopar" company?

Just wondering what those reasons are for them being able to sell for much lower prices. Is there a difference in that Exxon/Mobil oil (or any other "name brand" item) being sold in Walmart, or should I pay more for it at Pep Boys, Autozone, Advanced, or any other place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shainer View Post
Right because Walmart influences the product inside the bottle of oil or the Mopar filter. There is a reason they sell for less. Their own efficient warehouse and delivery system, their mass purchasing power. Their contractual agreements... lots of reasons...

Old 01-27-2010, 08:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,107 Times in 1,570 Posts
I wouldn't buy the filters from Walmart.
I was needing a new Sawzall and found out with 100% certainty that the DeWalt and Milwaukee tools that Walmart sells for cheaper are definitely made cheaper and are visibly different from the same tool sold elsewhere.
Same exact model numbers.
Check it out some time and you'll see I'm right.

My bet is Walmart Mopar filters are cheaply made in China and relabeled possibly with a licence from Chrysler.
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

i got this filter on my last change, even has the C logo on it.

On the side note of this thread, in high school i worked at a warehouse that distributed all of your briggs and stratton, techumsa, ect.. filters, blades, belts, plugs. we packaged and set up the orders. this warehouse only distributed to walmart. in talking with my boss he told us they have to go to walmart every so often and re-pitch themselves to continue being the distributor. if walmart can get someone to do the same job and save a buck they will. this is why their prices are cheap. who doesn't want to be the company distributing, or selling there stuff to walmart.
87poweram is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #24 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87poweram View Post
i got this filter on my last change, even has the C logo on it.

On the side note of this thread, in high school i worked at a warehouse that distributed all of your briggs and stratton, techumsa, ect.. filters, blades, belts, plugs. we packaged and set up the orders. this warehouse only distributed to walmart. in talking with my boss he told us they have to go to walmart every so often and re-pitch themselves to continue being the distributor. if walmart can get someone to do the same job and save a buck they will. this is why their prices are cheap. who doesn't want to be the company distributing, or selling there stuff to walmart.

Yes, their business practices are considered some of the toughest in retail. MSNBC (or some other channel) did a program about it. Walmart will nickel and dime their distributors to get the costs down - some to the point where they will make a special product just for Walmart (see Levi's Signature jeans....forced to produce in China to get a cheap enough product).

Supply Chain Partnerships: How Levi's Got Its Jeans into Wal-Mart - CIO.com - Business Technology Leadership

That is also the reason that as large as Walmart is, you may notice they have a limited selection of certain products. I haven't done a complete study or anything, but they carry only a few brands of toilet paper and paper towels, and only a few different package sizes. Same with shampoo and toothpaste.

But, as far as I know, as long and the products have the same UPC, they are the same regardless of the store.

There have been many reports of the large retailers having enough pull to be able to have products manufacturered specifically for them....complete with unique UPC codes.

Personally, I had an issue with speaker mounts I purchased at Best Buy. A few days after installing them I found them cheaper at another store. I bought them at that store and then attempted to return them to Best Buy. Although the packaging and model numbers were identical, the Best Buy employee told me they could not accept the return because the UPC was not the same.

So, I'd be curious if these Mopar filters are the same as other filters. Sometimes Walmart will make a large quantity purchase of an item because the price is too good to pass up. It's not uncommon to go to Walmart and find out that the item you bought last year is no longer carried by them.

Walmart, Kmart, Target, or the Dollar store, I'm all for saving a few bucks as long as the quality is the same.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.