Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Engine Coolant

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  BSouth 
#1 ·
It won't be too long before my coolant will need to be flushed and replaced. I am currently trying to find the best coolant for my Yamaha Rhino and didn't realize there were soooo many options! What do y'all recommend for either or both? Thanks

#2 ·
There used to be two plants in the US that made antifreeze until one burned down a few years ago.
Lots of different names and colors for what probably came out of the same tank.
Basically you have a choice between long life (usually orange) or normal life (green).
I use what ever is on sale at the autoparts.
I case you haven't noticed antifreeze has become very expensive, the long life stuff is probably more economical.

#3 ·
i just took mine to the EEEEE dealer i know...that way i didnt have to worry aobut getting rid of all that used antifreeze.

#4 ·
Just let it run down the driveway. I try to do all my cooling system maintenance before we get a good rain storm.

Its ok as long as you don't have any pets running around.

#5 ·
antifreze will pollute thousands of gallon of water for one gallon of antifreeze!! not very smart!!:shock::spank:

as for the type there is ethylene glycol and propelene glycol these are both the same and have abt a 3 year expected life! and then there is an extended life coolant which is made to last 6 years! do not mix these as the end result is gumming of the whole cooling system! i see it on engines all the time!!

if it has a aluminum radiator you can use the high silicate mix which is what most are but texacos brand is a low silicate mix for older copper radiators as the silicates bond to copper and corrode the radiator!!

last step is to make sure you use a 50/50 mix or if its concentrate use distilled water!! do not use tap water as this contains minerals which will cause a scale buildup on the inside of the radiator of which 1/16th of an inch thick has the insulating properties of 4inches of cast iron!!

follow all these and you should be good!!:thumbsup:

#9 ·
Has anyone heard of using additives such as Redline Water Wetter or Royal Purple Ice? Both radiators are aluminum.

#10 ·
Go to Yamaha and get some of their coolant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.