Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Best Diesel Truck Out There - $20-$30K

9K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  dixon700 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I just sold my '04 Chevy Duramax 2500, and, though it was a powerful truck and a joy to drive, it had those dang injector problems. Now I'm looking for a new diesel, and would like to get your guys' input.

I'd like to spend between $20-$30K in California, and am looking for a Dodge, GMC, or another Chevy diesel 2500 4x4. I'll be using it to tow a 5th wheel mostly, some other light trailer towing, and for other general truck use.

What year/makes/models have you guys had good experience with? Any that I should specifically avoid?

Thanks for any input!

#3 ·
Personal experience here. Good luck with: 1995 12 valve, 1998 24 valve, 2003 common rail with 500 rwhp, 2007 with the 6.7, 2002 24 valve with 355k and counting.
Years to avoid: none.
Good luck hunting.
In your price range in California, you'll probably be looking at 2003-2009 third generation. Search on this site for more information than you ever wanted to know about these trucks.

#4 ·
I've spotted a 2009, 2007, and 2004 Dodge Ram 2500, all with similar mileage. I'm going to start looking into them, but if there's some personal experience with any of them, i'd love to hear about it.

#5 ·
Since you're in California I would say stick to the 5.9 to avoid all the emissions BS, for the overall truck, I think 06-07 5.9s are the best unless your willing to deal with emissions which then I would say 4th gen.

#7 ·
The same thing that's a problem on all modern diesel (07.5 + Cummins, 08+ Fords, etc) DPFs, EGRs, if equipped SCR (DEF) systems. If you live in an area that doesn't care about emissions then just pick the truck you like the best and delete it, if you can't or unwilling to I say get a pre-DPF truck because the emission systems are picky and when something goes wrong they can get expensive fast.

#9 ·
Well, you just got rid of one of the best, IMO. The only real advantage I see in the LBZ is the 6 speed trans.
Injectors aren't just an issue with the LB7s. Essentially the same Bosch injectors lasted 120k in my 07 Dodge.

In general in the $20-30k range I'd be looking for a LLY/LBZ GM, 3rd Gen Dodge 5.9 (but only a 6 speed stick), or a nice LMM Duramax and deal with the emissions or delete it.
Wouldn't touch a Powdersmoke from 03-10 with a 10 foot pole!

#10 ·
I'm a cummins guy, I could recommend you find a 5 or 6 speed 24v or CR doesn't matter. Bottle line is what looks best to you, and what you want. With that being said, chevy is the worst car manufacturer in the world, the only thing that'll compete with a chevy is a kia, they both suck.. Dodge ain't very good, the cummins motor is the only reason you'd want one... Dodge has a problem with building there trucks cheap, not as cheap as chevy but still.. I wouldn't recommend a cummins to anyone. I'd like to offer you to get a 94.5-03.25 7.3 powerstroke, and if that body style or engine isn't to your liking, get a 05-07 6.0 powerstroke. I would avoid anything made past 2007. That's the last generation of trucks before they got emissions crazy.. and you can just get a welded EGR and not worry anyhow. 6.0 powerstroke or 7.3. Don't touch chevy or dodge unless you'd like to suffer in plague like the rest of us here...I'm tired of dodge parts breaking...

#11 ·
Not sure why everyone keeps praising the 6spd Allison transmission like it's the best thing since round wheels. It might be in a few very limited applications but other than that I'd never base the purchase of a truck on that unless all you do is tow 15k+ lbs day in and day out. Even then.....I'd never even consider swapping one into my truck.
Sorry, had to get that off my chest

#13 ·
Honestly which ever truck floats your boat. Diesels are high maintenance and expensive. Especially when you push them for a little extra power. I personally wouldn't go older than an 03 I like the common rails. I'd buy any of the big 3 2010 and newer and delete then although I've never been a Ford fan lots of guys like the 6.7l scorpion. I personally want a 13- current Dodge and delete and tune it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.