when to plug in, and how long? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > General Forums > General Diesel Discussion
General Diesel Discussion Discuss General Topics related to the Cummins , Dodge Rams , Other Diesels Ect....NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 11:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
when to plug in, and how long?

I did a search and came up with nothing.
I was wondering when I should plug my truck in? (block heater 110v plug in front btw)
do i leave it plugged in overnight or buy a timer? will it hurt to leave it overnight?
will it hurt anything if it is plugged in and i start it with remote start?
and has enyone heard of anything going bad or shorting because the plug is exposed to the elements?
Thanks guys sorry for the list of questions

Oh and through my searches i saw someone mentioned something about a cab heater that ran off of diesel? then it was not mentioned again. does anyone know about that?
2005 SRW quad cab longbed, Auto.Polished one peice driveshaft mopar#52123220AB.Thuren coils and mini leaf pack,home made control arms,37" pro comps, Camo Seat covers, Miller high life sticker.
heyzipupyourfly is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2009, 03:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
i plug mine in at night when it starts getting below 30, does not seem to need it, always starts up, but i figure its better for the motor to be semi warm rather than cold. thats what it is there for.

i do this on the road while working when im in cold places. at home (Texas) i have never plugged it in.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
On call 24/7

iTrader Score: 11 reviews
If I had to leave for work in the morning and it was below 50 I would plug it in all night so the heater would be warm and the engine was at 110. I have since heard it costs alot to leave it plugged in all night but I lived at home and my folks never said anything so im not sure.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Some-Sho Some-Go

Do it all the time when temps are below freezing. I leave it all nite with no problems thats what a block heater is designed for. Plus easier on the old batteries when that grid heater has to warm up for 5 seconds instead of 30+ seconds.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
I leave it plugged in all night if it's stays outside (like when I'm at the fire house) or on a timer when it's at home in the garage.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

plugging a diesel in below 50 is crazy. its 27 28 here in the morning and i dont run the grid heater yet. truck starts the same as it was 80 out side, once it starts to get around 25 and below i run the grid but i wont plug it in till single digitz. the cummins is a cold weather eng, they start so nice and easy in cold weather.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

ok I have a 6 mile ride to work every night, and i normally dont hit 180-190 degrees till about a 3rd the way there.

would it benefit me to plug it in to help the warm up, even if its only 40 out?

What about winter fronts?(grille covers) should I invest in some or is it not needed in my area? (new england) it doesn't get in the negative temps much and if it does it's not sustained for a long time. but it will get into the single digits and stay around 15-20 at times.
2005 SRW quad cab longbed, Auto.Polished one peice driveshaft mopar#52123220AB.Thuren coils and mini leaf pack,home made control arms,37" pro comps, Camo Seat covers, Miller high life sticker.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

ok do you want heat in the cab so its warm to get to work or are you worried about the truck not getting to operating temp for a long period of time. short trips are hard on a diesel. not a good thing. but plugging it in to get it warmer your still not gonna keep the moisture out of the eng in that short of a trip. plugging it in will get warm in the cab faster yes but better on the eng not really being its that short of a ride. a winter front is the same way, gonna warm up faster in the cab but not really get warm for long enough to evaporate the condensation out of the eng. the truck needs to really get warm and run warm for a period of time, the warm cold warm cold causes condensation, moisture inside the eng and the operating temp will evaporate that moisture out. those short runs are just too hard on a cummins.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Southern Canada

I start plugging mine in when it gets around 20, its on a timer at my house and when im on the road I just snake a ext cord out my motel window and let her go.

But like ^^^^1swany65 was saying short trips for our trucks arent the best. I would suggest starting it and letting it idle for 10min with the high idle.

But the comment about the moisture in the engine is very true. When I start my truck in the cold I throw the EB for some back pressure, and the exhaust will throw steam for a good 5-8 min before it goes to just hot air
1998 Jeep wrangler

No data received
Unable to load the webpage because the server sent no data.
bulldogbones is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 10:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Plug at 20. How long? depends on how cold.
Left out in the cold is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

2 hours would get it warm enough to start and drive away, an hour would get it started easier but id still let it run and build some heat. the colder it gets it may take longer but 2 hours should be enough down to zero
grovom (12-28-2009)
Old 12-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

heat in the cab i could really care less. my passengers are always scolding me because they are cold. I tell them to drive themselves and they shutup.

but yes i am more worried about the short distance i drive, beating up on the motor. Its a long 6 miles though. I end up going through 26 lights total between my house and my work in just that 6 miles. so its a stop and go stop and go. no highway.

I did get a remote start and i have been giving it about 5 minutes before i leave then i thought i could maybe let it run an extra 5 minutes or so when i park it at work? wouldn't hurt? i do have the high idkle turned on but it wont activate with the remote start i still have to go out and trn it up. so i've been letting it idle low because if i am stepping out to do that i might as well leave for work.

So to me it looks like an exhaust brake would be a decent investment. and the winter fronts in my eyes would only make a difference after the T stat is open, so its more for if the truck is having trouble reaching operating temps on a long trip in fridged cold?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.