Cummins Diesel Forum banner

L5P Duramax Power

12K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Mikey-KE7LBB 
#1 ·
Looks like GM is upping the ante once again. The MY17 L5P Duramax reported to have 445 hp and 910 lb-ft. :surprise:

#3 ·
That's cool if you like that truck. The DEF tank in the engine sucks. You better install some sort of running boards to side steps to protect the hanging DEF tank otherwise it looks terrible.

I'll stick to my old and lame sauce 2013. The power I currently have in my 13 is plenty for what I tow.

R.K.

#4 ·
This is my first post in several months since I sold my last RAM.
Did GM fix their fuel issues? To-date they did not have a water-fuel separator. The also blame the customer for issues resulting in their lack of engineering and not cover repairs under warranty (10K bill).
Having more power with a light construction frame, weak front end and fuel issues will not make me want their product.

Reactions: azjohnnyo
#7 ·
Wrong, the duramax has always had a fuel water seperator 6.6L Duramax - Draining the Fuel Water Separator

As for the frame, GM redesigned in 2011 to a fully boxed frame. Equally as good as a Ram.

As for the front end, it is purely personal preference, but I would much rather have IFS over solid front axle. Until Ram makes it an option, I have to settle for solid axle.

#6 · (Edited)
I'm in a rental GMC these days and thanks to a part being back ordered (for 7 weeks!!!???) I will have plenty of time to get to know it. So far, I'm liking the Apple carplay, and the projector headlights. That's about where it ends. I towed my 2700 lb CJ-7 on friday with about 800 lbs of tools in the bed of the truck (2016 2500HD), and the chassis was not impressive at all! I actually knew the Jeep was behind me. It was pushing the truck around, and the braking was almost scary! I'm hoping to exchange the GM for a Cummins rental in the next couple of days!

#8 ·
if you are stuck between a GM and a Dodge, pick the dodge if you are going to work on it yourself, or keep it outside of warranty period. Duramax's are a total PITA to work on. they do, however, ride like a dream with the IFS.

#10 ·
I agree with what HWTG said above. People often like to repeat what someone else said, while knowing nothing about what they are talking about. I had a Silverado for 14 years. Towed several large 5th wheelers with it over those years. Perfect truck. I drove several Ram's and GMC's. Both great trucks. Ram simply won out as I don't like the DEF box hanging down on the GM trucks.

It's simply bull (IMO) to say if you are going to work your truck to get a Ram as if the GM won't hold up.

#11 ·
I wanna drive one pretty bad myself. I like my cummins, still hate the 68 trans, but am curious to drive the new trucks. When I drove a good friends 2016 3500 single wheel LML, it was impressive. That thing would move! He did have a dually with a utility bed on it and ran it really hard. No IFS issues with BFG mud terrains from the day it left the dealer lot. At 60K though, the duramax was drinking coolant and the Allison was slipping pretty bad.

#12 ·
Lots of changes on the L5P from the LML. Will be interesting to see how it holds up. Has a DOC right after the turbo which looks like a cab off job to replace. Also has a whole new fuel system, which hopefully will be better than that CP4 failure fiasco.

#13 ·
I just got back in my Ram after 2 weeks in a GM. The Allison was nice enough, but that's where it ends for me. I don't need a diesel pickup car. I prefer my truck. I always wondered what possessed people to buy Chev or GMs. I still wonder...

#14 ·
I'm anxious to see how this truck performs and, perhaps, take one for a test drive. The 2011 Duramax SRW I drove rode much better than my 2012 Ram 3500 SRW, and felt like a rocket ship. One disconcerting thing about the GM is the body- a minor fender bender to the rear and the entire bed will crumple. I've seen it happen.

#15 ·
And up to '07 for sure, a minor fender bender requires new bumper, new bumper brackets, new radiator support, and both front fenders need repair or replacement, as they all buckle right over the wheel well.

#16 ·
The company I work for had a fleet of '10 Duramax trucks that did pretty well for them. I can't say too many bad things, except the ac shuts off when you need it most and it really stinks when it needs to regen!!

They have switched to all gassers now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.