24 volt lights on a 12 volt system? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > General Forums > General Diesel Discussion
General Diesel Discussion Discuss General Topics related to the Cummins , Dodge Rams , Other Diesels Ect....NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 07:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
24 volt lights on a 12 volt system?

so i hope someone out there can answer this! i have three 24 volt HID lights that i got off a rolled haul truck that i would like to put on my service truck so i can have light around it when im working. i have one 12 volt battery in the back for fuel transfer pumps that gets charged of the main engine, and i have the main truck batterys. i thought about just using the welder for it but i dont like listening to that thing run, so how do i make them work?
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,573 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Not easy unless you run them off their own two batteries or have a way to disconnect the rear battery from the truck and connect it in series with another battery.

Another way to do it is with a small inverter and 24 volt transformer.
You would have to convert the 12 VDC to 110 AC then knock it back down to 24 V.

Either method would probably cost more than just buying 12 volt lights.
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

ya those two methods are what we came up with to. maybe a second small 24 volt alternator?
Old 11-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Location: lower central NY but in the sunshine state right now
you could get a 24volt battery carger and a inverter in the truck run the lights off the carger and plug the carger in to the inverter and the inverter in to the truck if this makes sence
Old 11-03-2009, 10:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,573 Posts
Think a 24 volt alternator would cost much more than an inverter and transformer.
Plus all the mounting and belt routing hassle.

I had to build an automatic irrigation controller in a remote location that ran off a solar panel.
The panel charged a 12 volt DC battery, I needed 24 volt AC for the controller and valves.
Used a cheap 500 watt inverter, you can find them for under $50, and the transformer to knock it down to 24 volts, less than $10.

You could do it the same way, doubt your lights care if they have AC or DC power.
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

thanks for the replys guys, much appreciated!
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.