Sea Foam! - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > General Forums > General Diesel Discussion
General Diesel Discussion Discuss General Topics related to the Cummins , Dodge Rams , Other Diesels Ect....NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2007, 11:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Talking Sea Foam!

My 03 has 50,000 miles on it now, and has been a little off lately. Power has been off, a little sluggish, and a noticable rattle that wasent there before. I read some comments here about Sea Foam, and figured I would give it a shot. Did a full service, added a pint to the oil, and filled the fuel filter resevoir with it, and dumped the rest in the tank. Wthin 5 minutes, the engine was completely quiet, and the power was 100% back to normal! This stuff is AMAZING! Thanks for puttin me on this stuff!
Firebrand is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2007, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Have you not read where it is not advised to use any fuel additive that has alcohol in it unless you are using it to de-gel your fuel? Yes it may clean up your injectors and clean some carbon but it is not good for your fuel system and can even hurt it. To sum it up I’ll copy what DD had to say in another post about it “Fact is that alcohol kills lubricity, and that is the last fuel additive that should be used on a diesel.”

Also why did you add SeaFoam to your oil, were you trying to clean out some sludge in your engine by running it for 5 minutes before you dumped the old oil and installed new oil?
Old 04-07-2007, 08:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was advised via PM to try it. It worked, and I see no reason to reveal the source. But as it was allready pointed out in another thread, It seems that in a simple oil change, I have damaged my engine with alcohol, and used a dangerous oil filter for my engine. Why on earth are these things still on the market for people like me to use? Is fram aware that these filters should not be used in a Cummins engine? Not to mention sea foam's false advertisement as being safe for all diesel engines, and will not void any warranty? Stuff like this drives me crazy.
Firebrand is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2007, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
It does drive me nuts as well, Firebrand. Diesel fuel additives should not have alcohol, since it kills lubricity. It is consumer beware, unfortunately. Fram makes an OK filter for gas engines, but these Cummins diesels really pound on an oil filter with large oil pressure fluctuations. Fram's economical filter construction is not strong enough for this application. That is the wide opinion for years on Fram and diesels. But the guy at the parts store will never tell you that.

I run the AMSOIL diesel fuel additives and Donaldson Endurance oil filters. There are also many other additives and oil filters on the market that are better than Frams.

Duluth Diesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2007, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Ive used i can of sea foam per every 3 tanks and it cleans all the carben buildup off the injectors been doing it 30,000+ miles no problems.

http://www.neweradiesel.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
goosesgarage is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2007, 09:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Alcohol kills lubricity. Every major additive manufacturer, including the stuff that Cummins puts their endorsement on, know that alcohol is a bad deal for diesels. You are not doing your engine any favors using SeaFoam. There are better diesel fuel additives that do not use alcohol.
This is what I use: https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/adf.aspx?1206252

-Chuck

Old 04-07-2007, 09:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

To be fair, SeaFoam itself isn't a bad product. While it is widely known that alcohol has no place in a diesel fuel due to lubricity issues, I have used SeaFoam in gasoline engines, especially small engines, and have had good results. The only issue with SeaFoam in a diesel application is the fact that there is alcohol in it.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Smile

I'VE ALWAYS USE MARVEL MYSTRY OIL IN MY FUEL AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. A OLD MAN TOLD ME ONE TIME IF I USED IT I WOULD NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS, HE WAS WRIGHT, WHEN I SOLD MY 97 I HAD 323K ON IT AND IT HAD NEVER BEEN TOUCHED
JIM KAZ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2007, 11:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

i used marvel mystery oil in an old monte carlo i once owned. it had a sticking lifter and it cleared it right up:thumbsup

But i have never tried it in my fuel.

John
jbarker is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2007, 08:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
THE Hood Stack Guy!

That stuff is a cure all for a lot of vehicles. But I know it was desogned for gas engines so I would nessasarly use it in mine. But a bit to cure a little problem wouldnt hurt. Oh ya and Advance Auto Parts has that stuff on sale this month!!!
Old 04-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

well one point on the alcohol bit is that it will absorb the water in the diesel my dad has put methenol in his bulk off road diesel tanks to absorb the water and have never seen any problems. Plus how much alcohol do you really think are in that little bottle of seafoam im sure not enough to hurt the engine or the pump.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I had a really noisey injector.. From the posts on here I figured it was just carbon buil up since I sit in traffic and idle alot..

Dealer was really no help in fixing it.

I tried the power service, lucas and none helped.. dumped in a can of sea foam and within 2 tanks it was quiet again.. Now I know what you are saying about the alcohol and all but What is worse .. a little alchol in 2 tanks or carbon on the injectors??
2005 CTD Laramie, Mineral grey, auto, 2" daystar leveling spacers, 315 BFGAT's, air horns, Isspro guages "A" pillar mount (egt,trans temp, boost), Snug top hard cover with Remote latch, bed rug, daily driver with light towing now and then.
Gerry is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.