Big Cam 400 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > General Forums > General Diesel Discussion
General Diesel Discussion Discuss General Topics related to the Cummins , Dodge Rams , Other Diesels Ect....NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 07:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Big Cam 400

Our fire department has a 1978 379 peterbilt water tanker. It holds about 4,300 gallons of water. She is a good old truck but the problem is she is a little slow. Our department serves a fairly mountainous area. I would like some tips on how to spice up this cummins a little bit. maybe some pump adjustments. It has a pyrometer and currently I can't get the egt's above 750-800 degrees so i know there is some wiggle room. engine is fairly fresh, was rebuilt about two years ago. time to turn her loose!
Black 2004.5,4x4,3500,SRW,QCLB Auto. AFE Stage II. Trans, Pyro, Boost in the cubby. Other Rigs:03 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 76 Toyota Hi-lux, custom bed made from cherry bin, LED lights in rear, and it usually runs (as long as I hit the carburetor with a rock)
fire1515 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2009, 08:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Restrictor in the fuel return line will bump up the fuel pressure, throwing more fuel into the cylinders each time the injector fires.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,120 Times in 1,573 Posts
You might not have as much wiggle room as you think.
My bet is the pyro is post turbo, 950 would be the max safe egt.

BTW, I grew up inbetween Pateros and Chelan. Haven't been back in over 20 years.
Don't miss the winter fog at all.
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to illflem For This Useful Post:
fire1515 (10-15-2009)
Old 10-15-2009, 09:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I will bet you are exactly correct on the pyro location. i will check today. thanks
Black 2004.5,4x4,3500,SRW,QCLB Auto. AFE Stage II. Trans, Pyro, Boost in the cubby. Other Rigs:03 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 76 Toyota Hi-lux, custom bed made from cherry bin, LED lights in rear, and it usually runs (as long as I hit the carburetor with a rock)
fire1515 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 06:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

What fuel system is on the 400? Is it PT?
Old 10-18-2009, 08:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

drill out the ball in the throttle shaft and back out the screw a bit

adjust your aneroid valve so it gets rid of the fuel supply delay to make it more responsive ( the aneroid's function is to limit fuel until the turbo spools up. Its behind the little tin cover beside the throttle shaft).

shim the governor spring

change the fuel pump button (I think its actually called an 'idle plunger' or something). This is the biggest bang for your buck. Its not that hard to do but I can't recall the specifics because its been over a decade since I did this. A few hand tools are all thats required to pop the cap off the end of the pump then a socket and needle nose pliers to pull the stuff out. The 'buttons' are stamped with a number on the groove where it is narrower and the lower the number, the more fuel pressure. The numbers go up in a weird sequence if I can recall --> alternating between the increase of 2, then 3, then repeat --> like 5, 7, 10, 12, 15, etc. Depending on how far you want to go, guys used to take whatever they had and drop the number by 10 or 15 and it was pretty safe. Just be sure to have a pyro (that works properly), be sure to warm it up properly because that extra fuel will score a liner much quicker when not warmed. Do not lug the engine - drop a gear soon as there is enough rpm room to do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.