Amsoil vs Schaeffer - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > General Forums > General Diesel Discussion
General Diesel Discussion Discuss General Topics related to the Cummins , Dodge Rams , Other Diesels Ect....NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Amsoil vs Schaeffer

I was wondering what everyones opinion was on these to oils what do you feel is the better synthetic to go with.
Thanks,
Scott
scott m is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,107 Times in 1,570 Posts
Neither unless you're going at least 20k miles between changes.
I believe in synthetics for trannys and differentials but not in diesel engines.
Modern dino oil is very high quality and will go at least 10k between changes.
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2009, 03:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott m View Post
I was wondering what everyones opinion was on these to oils what do you feel is the better synthetic to go with.
Thanks,
Scott
After watching both amsoil and schaeffer get tested on a lubricity tester machine I gotta vote for Schaeffer.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

just to make it more confusing, look at spectro oils and lubro moly as well.
i use amsoil now but maybe i just fell fo rthe hype, i don't know. i do plan on extended drain intervals though after i send in a sample to see how far i can go.
'99 5 speed, 4x4, gauges,Quadzilla ADR, Smarty, BHAF, 100s, 5" turboback, water/meth inj. 315/75/16 maxxis bighorns, Airdog,13" Valair,4300k HID's, HID off road lights, 2 Low kit, LED interior lights,alpine/cerwin-vega/mmats audio, Viair onboard air.
terminaltsi is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 12:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

20k is easy to do on amsoil. if you get the bypass kit you can plan on 100k oil changes with regular oil filter changes and sending in a sample to see how the oil is standing up.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant.foste View Post
After watching both amsoil and schaeffer get tested on a lubricity tester machine I gotta vote for Schaeffer.
What's a lubricity tester?

It isn't one of those unapproved machines that many call a one-armed bandit?

Does this lubricity tester check for viscosity, ability of the oil to resist shearing, oxidation, foaming, & so on?

If an oil exceeds in one area, but does poorer (or worse yet fails) than other oils in other test criteria is it still a good oil?

AMSOIL has some good white papers on their website where they test their gear, engine & motor cycle oils against some of the competition. Worth the read even if you just want to understand better the criteria that an oil has to meet.
What makes it interesting is that they name names... and to date have not been sued or have had to stop publishing the results.
Now, some people like to try to discredit or downplay these papers because their beloved brand-X oil wasn't tested... so their argument is that it must be as good or more likely better than amsoil because it wasn't mentioned... If brand-X is so good why don't they publish their own test results showing how much better than amsoil, or mobil, or rotella, or mazolla their own product is?
It is so easy for brand-X to publish test results showing that they beat brand-A & brand-B.... name names if your product is that good.

Anyway... having said that... I agree with earlier comments... if you aren't going to use the benefit of extended drain intervals, any synthetic is going to be costly.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

SCHAEFFERS 100% They had a booth at Farm Science Review last year and had a bearing that spun on the end of a rod that you could push down on a sheet of metal and make it stop. They put valvoline, mobil 1, and I'm thinking even maybe Amsoil on it. A buddy of mine weighing 350 plus put all his weight on it and the only one that he couldn't make stop spinning was when they put the Schaeffers on it. Since then I've been a believer in the stuff
Old 08-31-2009, 11:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercraft View Post
What's a lubricity tester?

It isn't one of those unapproved machines that many call a one-armed bandit?

Does this lubricity tester check for viscosity, ability of the oil to resist shearing, oxidation, foaming, & so on?

If an oil exceeds in one area, but does poorer (or worse yet fails) than other oils in other test criteria is it still a good oil?

AMSOIL has some good white papers on their website where they test their gear, engine & motor cycle oils against some of the competition. Worth the read even if you just want to understand better the criteria that an oil has to meet.
What makes it interesting is that they name names... and to date have not been sued or have had to stop publishing the results.
Now, some people like to try to discredit or downplay these papers because their beloved brand-X oil wasn't tested... so their argument is that it must be as good or more likely better than amsoil because it wasn't mentioned... If brand-X is so good why don't they publish their own test results showing how much better than amsoil, or mobil, or rotella, or mazolla their own product is?
It is so easy for brand-X to publish test results showing that they beat brand-A & brand-B.... name names if your product is that good.

Anyway... having said that... I agree with earlier comments... if you aren't going to use the benefit of extended drain intervals, any synthetic is going to be costly.
This is the tester thing that I'm talking about-

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_houchins8_182 View Post
SCHAEFFERS 100% They had a booth at Farm Science Review last year and had a bearing that spun on the end of a rod that you could push down on a sheet of metal and make it stop. They put valvoline, mobil 1, and I'm thinking even maybe Amsoil on it. A buddy of mine weighing 350 plus put all his weight on it and the only one that he couldn't make stop spinning was when they put the Schaeffers on it. Since then I've been a believer in the stuff

The wheel spins in a cup of whatever oil you're using. Spinning the wheel is an electric motor with an amp gauge hooked up to it. A beam style torque wrench is used to apply a torque through a ball bearing smashed against the spinning wheel. You compare the amperage vs the torque. If that's what you're calling a "one-armed bandit" then so be it. It convinced me.

Just to keep in mind, I've been a huge fan of AMSOIL since the '90's. The only proof I had of their product being great was the oil analysis I was using to run 20k between oil changes. Schaeffers was just introduced to me withen the month.

At this time I'm still running factory oil in my truck as it rolled over 5k miles today. I plan on two oil changes using Valvoline Premium Blue as recommended by Cummins at Mopar change intervals before switching to either AMSOIL or Schaeffers. Neither of my ATV's have needed an oil change recently but will be getting one before getting stored for the winter.

Post those white papers from AMSOIL that you're talking about.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Those white papers from Amsoil are clearly available from the front page of their website - right hand column under Oil Comparisons.

Did you know that Head & Shoulders shampoo performs really well with those one-armed bandits? It's the zinc.
If those machines were accurate, reliable, & provided meaningful information then ASTM, SAE or another governing scientific body would endorse them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thundercraft For This Useful Post:
Shainer (07-31-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

Once you view the Schaeffer product via their oil stress testing machine you will not want to put anything else in vehicles you intend to protect. It plates with Moly. Most oils plate with something but Moly is strong and forms a barrier you cannot run through. Some over the road trucking companies have extended engine life and oil drain intervals to the point that the oils return on investment is realized. I have used it since mid 80's.
larrys2006 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

The lubricity tester, whether approved or not, does show the ability of an oil to protect your engine, driveline or whatever. It is difficult to argue with what you see when comparing oils. I used amzoil years ago as I knew synthetics were the best for engines. I have used Schaeffers since mid 80's and would not even consider another oil.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #12 (permalink)

Zinc is one of many elements that plates itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.