Best 5.9? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > General Forums > General Diesel Discussion
General Diesel Discussion Discuss General Topics related to the Cummins , Dodge Rams , Other Diesels Ect....NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 11:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Best 5.9?

Looking to buy a Dodge with a Cummins diesel, and I know that the 5.9 has changed over the years.

What year is the best, and why?

Reliability, MPG, Other.........
Powerstroke Tech is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2009, 11:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
ALL sorts of opinions on this topic but ill chime in and give you my .02c

03-07 5.9L CR
these are good trucks and come with some great horsepower from the factory, plus there all up to date on all of the looks and quality. they get decent fuel mileage too. These are especially good for towing because if you plan on doing any upgrades they're really easy to handle you could get a programmer for better fuel mileage, towing capacity, and more drivability. The seats are nice and they're alot newer and the CR is more quiet than any of the previous 5.9s

98-02 5.9L 24v
These are good trucks as well for the same listed above. The only difference is they are not common rail trucks, they use the vp44 injection system, from what i hear there power is limited but none the less it is a very reliable motor, if you wanted to tune the 24v its best to get an aftermarket fuel pump, i dont own one but im sure fuel mileage is comparable.

12v im not too sure of but i know you can get good reliable Horsepower and torque out of these motors for the cheapest $$$buck. problem is finding one with a low mileage, also these engines have numerous reports of being the most reliable 5.9 money can buy with numerous reports of exceeding 500k and climbing fewer reports reaching 1mil miles.

Hope this helps
Best of luck to you.
Torque Monster is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 06:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

i have to agree with bullydogdallas. My dad has a '94 12v and pulls 19mpg around town stock with 120k miles. I've seen those trucks go forever. As long as you keep up on the maintenance on any of those motors they will last a lifetime.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMind View Post
i have to agree with bullydogdallas. My dad has a '94 12v and pulls 19mpg around town stock with 120k miles. I've seen those trucks go forever. As long as you keep up on the maintenance on any of those motors they will last a lifetime.
I had the opportunity to drive my dads '95 12v for a month and averaged 22mpg.

I understand VP44 replaced the old injection pump in '97.

Is the same fuel economy still achievable with the VP44 version?
Old 08-19-2009, 09:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,111 Times in 1,570 Posts
The VP pump started in '98.5 in order for Dodge to meet emissions laws.
It's use was a stop gap measure because the CR engine wasn't ready yet.
I'm certain if it wasn't for the smog laws they would have kept using the P pump.
VP pumped trucks seem to get a couple mpgs less than the earlier P pumped trucks.
Of the three engine evolutions the VP pumped engines are for sure the least reliable.
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to illflem For This Useful Post:
BobTheRepairMan (01-01-2013)
Old 08-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroke Tech View Post
Looking to buy a Dodge with a Cummins diesel, and I know that the 5.9 has changed over the years.

What year is the best, and why?

Reliability, MPG, Other.........
Reliability is a toss up between the 1st gen 12 Valve with the VE, or the 2nd Gen 12 Valve.

MPG king is hands down the VE, if they are all in stock form. Even with power adders, the little rotary pump generally delivers better mpg than the others. The 1st Gen's are also lighter than the other generations.

If you want all out power, the 2nd Gen 12 Valve is the only way to go.
peobryant is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mmm...HELLCAT!!!

Thanked 4,491 Times in 2,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peobryant View Post
If you want all out power, the 2nd Gen 12 Valve is the only way to go.
Negatory. Common Rail. Im not downing the 12v, but its not the only platform to make power.

Hows the VP a "stop gap?" Cummins has been on a 4 year cycle since the Cummins was put into Dodge; 89-93 VP, 94-98, 98-02, 03-07. See a pattern there? ALL 4 years before the next injection pump was released. Now its still Common Rail, though a 6.7, so what are we gonna see in 2011?

Go CR, you get a newer, more spacious, comfortable truck, with the new go-to platform for power. Dont be fooled into thinking a 12v is cheap to get power out of, you gotta dump just as much into a 12v as a CR to make big power. For the best mileage, 03-04 is the way to go. And it just so happens that they make more power than the 04.5-07 trucks do when serious mods are made

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common View Post
Why would you buy a Hellcat for road trips?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorSmokPls View Post
Because you can
MoparProud is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,111 Times in 1,570 Posts
Quote:
Hows the VP a "stop gap?"
Because Cummins said they had to use the VP for variable electronic timing to meet emissions.
They weren't planning on using the VP, the plan was to go straight to the common rail from the P pump but the CR wasn't ready when they had planned on it.
Cummins has stated they were very disappointed with the VP and wished they hadn't of had to use it.
As for the four year business it's because the EPA diesel emissions tiers came in four year increments starting in 1994. 2010 is the final tier, no more emissions upgrades for on road diesel engines after that unless new laws are passed.
Cummins met the final 2010 tier requirement last year ahead of all other diesel engine manufacturers.
Stock for one day

Last edited by illflem; 08-20-2009 at 09:39 PM.
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 10:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I think it depends on what oyu want o do with the truck. Toy? Im a huge 12V fan (obviously because I drive one) I disagree, they are cheaper to mod up, 900 bucks for injector opposed to 1500 bucks. the problem is that they are worn out trucks by now, oh the motor will last forever, unfortunately the body wont (cummins os the best motor ever, its only problem is that they wrapped it in a Dodge...)

If you looking for a daily driver, I'd get a newer one, more comfortable. Im not a fan of the 6.7s, too many bugs to work out yet. if your gonna mod it up, 02-04. stock, Id go 04.5, more power stock.

VP trucks are good and you can still find osme low mileage one out there, the only problem is that the VP44 pump can be a 1500 dollar failure if hte lift pump got weak, or the PO chipped it up and didnt do any support work to the lift pump. VP truck's problem is they start to get starved for fuel, get hot, and bye bye injection pump!

take it as my 2 cents...btw, Im a mechanic, if that adds any clout to my opnion is up to you =-b
Black '97 12 Valver 2WD|5 speed|#0 fuel plate|tuned AFC|HE351|Valair ceramic single disk|S&B filter|4000 GSK| 60 lb. springs|[/COLOR]GONE! Missed but not forgotten
New toy: white '05 2WD|NV5600|str8 pipe| too many goodies needed, not enough cash...
PowerstrokeConvert08 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 10:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Mexico Chapter Vice President

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
they are all great reliable trucks..it just depends what you want..if you want CHEAPER power and no use of a chip or any type of programming, then get a 12v..if you want a truck that requires a good lift pump, but you can use a chip or programmer, then get a 98.5 to 02 24 valve..and if you want a new body style truck and also able to use a chip or programmer then get a common rail..and lastly if you want the newest possible truck and engine then get a 6.7..no matter what way you look at it, they all have PLENTY of power..they all are RELIABLE, they all get ok MPGs, they ALL have their own PROBLEMS, and they all sound so SWEET!!!!

Last edited by mikeluna_17; 08-20-2009 at 10:15 PM.
mikeluna_17 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 11:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks for the input everyone.

Pricewise it looks as though the only two options for me will be 5.9 p pump or the 5.9 vp. I'm not concerned with powering it up. I just want a long lasting reliable fuel efficient truck that is able to tow a fully loaded toy hauler up mountain roads.

It sounds like both will work for me with the edge going to p pump for better mpg and no lift pump problems.

The trick now will be to find one with the chassie in good enough shape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.