Oil Pressure... - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > General Forums > General Diesel Discussion
General Diesel Discussion Discuss General Topics related to the Cummins , Dodge Rams , Other Diesels Ect....NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2006, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Oil Pressure...

So far I havent noticed very much in the way of oil pressure discussions, like guages, monitoring, upgrading etc. Is this something with these trucks that isnt a problem?

Chad
PULN PWR is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2006, 12:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I've heard a few people swear up and down that the stock gauge is just a "dumby" gauge and doesn't read very accurate or anything at all. In my experiences it doesn't seem to ride much over the 40 mark which seems kinda odd since it should be higher on these cold mornings. It well show dips in oil PSI if your low or are losing oil.
ndurbin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2006, 12:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

There seems to be 'some' problems with the sensors failing. That happened to mine. The higher the RPMs the lower the guage would go. First time I saw that I just about crapped my pants, but I double checked the pressure at the filter and it was fine. I installed a new sensor and the pressure runs about a needle width higher, so I don't know if they are super accurate, however it seems to do good. I can't say I've heard of any engines failing due to an oil pressure problem. There always seems to by some other cause such as fuel leaking into the pan, etc. If you are going to install the guage in the filter housing, be sure you install a 100 PSI minimum guage. You are seeing the pressure right off the pump. The factory gauge sees pressures after most of the engine is lubed. The pressure at the filter wil drop to about 40 to 50 psi after everything warms up some.
Tom

Last edited by Tom05; 01-22-2006 at 12:38 PM.
Tom05 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2006, 01:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

At idle, the needle is resting right up against the white bar at idle, and rises to just over half guage sweep at normal speeds and loads.

Chad
PULN PWR is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2006, 11:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Most of the time mine stays on the line to the right of the center 40. It never goes over, but it sits there for a while no matter what temp. or load. Is this a problem? What should the oil pressure normally be around? I've never really paid attention to this in my other gas engines.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

My guage always reads to the very right line...I believe my sensor is shot, and it has been that way for over a yr. now.....Just turn the key on and not even start the engine and it shoots over to the far right position.....and the best part of it is at times going down the highway, the dinger will sound and low and behold the oil pressure is showing Nada......the first time the dinger went off and I looked and saw the oil pressure at zero......I could have used some TP!! Time to put a new one in. By the way Tom, is this a StealerShip or Cummins part?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Softe, the sender unit is available at Cummins. The part number you want is 4088390NX. My understanding is the price is $70 with a $30 core charge(that info is from someone else). You can also get a Mopar part #5012991AB for about $200. The phone number for Cummins NPower in Duluth is (218) 628-3614.
There is another sender that dealers like to install, but that takes a re-flash for it to work and the guage becomes an idiot light type guage meaning the guage will show "normal" pressure so long as there is any pressure, even 5 psi.
Tom
Old 01-25-2006, 04:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks, Tom, for the part number...I'll give Roger a call and make sure they have it ...wife has a SMDC appt. coming up soon.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

oil pressure varry's while driving

I have a 2001 2500 and i am having a few problems with it, first is my oil pressure is all over the place, i have a set of glow shift gauges one of which is a oil press gauge and on start up it jumps right to 100+psi then as it warms up it goes to around the 80 mark. After a short drive around it will read only about 20 psi at an idle and as soon as i touch the pedal it jumps to 100+ again. my gauge only reads to 100psi so im not sure what it jumps too but it jumps instantly. When driving down the hyway it will usually stay around the 80+- mark but it will constantly vary from 70 to 90ish. I am sure the pump is on the outs but am wondering if i need to replace or check any other components first. O ya there is also a whining sound coming from the oil pump area and whines louder when revved up and down.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,136 Times in 1,577 Posts
Starting in I think 2000 the gauge is nothing more than an idiot light that only reads zero and normal oil pressure.
Dodge did this in response to people who complained about the warning chime going off occasionally.
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

I have a 2003 cummins 2 wheel drive and just got it. Well mine when you first start it jumps way over past 40, but as it warms up it goes down. And when you're driving and slowing down the gauge goes way down. Never seen that before in a vehicle. Oh and smokes quite a bit when idling and the dealer said that something was turned up, it has quite a bit of power. But I owned a ford before this. Just curious something serious, cause it runs great and pulls great.
sheppy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

stock gauge

by the sounds of it I think I have a stock gauge because mine is also jumping around. I just bought mine in December (merry Christmas now you have a truck payment) I bought it used and was told by the dealer that it "has goodies", it has a quadzilla sticker in the back window but I dont have any paperwork for whatever the goodies are. I wasn't sure if my guage was doing this because of something that was added or if its normal. What should the gauge be reading at idle and full throttle?
Trevord70 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.