Cummins Diesel Forum banner

2001 24V vs. 2003 CR - which one?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  dwoods_90 
#1 ·
I've been looking at picking up a used diesel truck for general daily driver use and towing the occasional trailer. I had previously decided to go with either a 2000-2003 7.3 Ford PSD or 2000-2002 Dodge CTD. After looking around I have found a few 2nd gen 24V trucks. I had previously posted about a good condition 2001 QCSB with 90K miles for $14000. Seller won't deal on it yet.

I just found a 2003 QCSB CR, auto(I want an auto) trans, with 99K miles. Looks good. $15600. Haven't driven it yet.

My question is which truck would be better buy? I will eventually like to pump up the power to a reasonable 400-450 HP for a daily driver. Which generation will it be easier to achieve this reliably? How big of a difference in cost of the mods?

I guess overall, what are the pros/cons of each gen? I have read all the threads, but they seem inconclusive. I'm new to the diesel world so help me out. Sorry for all the questions.

To further complicate things, I found a beater 12V with 210K miles, auto , 4X4 ECLB for $5500 OBO....My only concern is that any vehicle with those miles starts disintegrating regardless of drivetrain(seats, switchgear, dash, electronics, etc.). Not sure I want to deal with such a rough ride for my DD.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would woryy about 210k unless you can tell its been beat to death. The 03 will make the power you want the easiest. Are you lookin for a 4x4 or are these 2wd? My dads trying to sell his 03 HO 2wd tan auto with 135k. Its a very clean truck all stock except a airaid drop in. Its in Tx and he want 13,500 for it.

#3 ·
I want 4wd. Meets my needs better. Thanks for the reply. Why would it be easier to make the power on the 3rd gen? Which generation will be more reliable?

#5 ·
Everybody says the 12v's are the most reliable but I have never had one. If you can get a 2 or 3 micron fuel filter on a 3rd gen it will be a very good truck. I have a 98 and an 03 and they both have never given me any trouble. I bought the 98 with 214k and the 03 with 56k and they have both been to Phoenix AZ from east TX pulling a light load with zero problems.

#6 · (Edited)
i have the truck in my sig for dd and pulling trailers, but i am seriously thinking about buying a 12v auto and beefing the tranny and inj pump up and using it to go get the equipment for my company. i love the 12v sclb - interior, motor reliability and sound. don't get me wrong i wouldn't trade my 04.5 for one but the 12v are pretty much exactly like the JD tractors i work on and i could do just about all the work to one that it needed. and parts are cheaper!! 12v's are tougher than dirt - i know someone that ran just about everything thru one - gas, oil, kerosene - and still runs today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.