Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Bad winter for gelling or just this state?

743 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  JDiepstra 
#1 ·
For Iowa at least, it seemed like this year gelling was crazy, I actually had to pull out my old beater for most of the winter because I couldn't keep my truck on the road. There were also stretches of highway maybe 3 miles long with probably a good 20 semis on the side of the road, school and metro busses were down for a few days, I had people coming into work who say they've never gelled until this winter. Heck, in my case I couldn't even get P/S 911 to work after replacing my water strainer and fuel filter on my FASS. It's only between 20-40 degrees now so I'm obviously back on the road, but was this winter just a killer for anybody else?

By the way, I switched from P/S to Howes, to some other that somebody else recommended and I'm back to P/S because nothing worked.

#2 ·
huh, sounds like maybe the area had ordered or was acidentally shipped summer fuel not a winter blend.

I just dealt with the same thing yesterday. had a drum of summer fuel thats been kicking around for a few months. Needed to fire up one of our drills that i had set up in the yard and that was the only fuel stand i had handy, even with anti-gel in it and even after sitting for a couple hours to let it do its magic, it was still coming out of the drum like horse cum. Ended up dinking around with it for a few hours, the antigel helped a bit but the fuel was still pretty slimy and just wouldnt thin out enough for the thing to run properly. ended up having to drain the stand completely and refill it with winter blend, ran like a top after that!

#5 ·
Its been plenty cold in Michigan and I've had no issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.